Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been watching this forum, and I figgure it's time I post something about my project. It's a 98 grand cherokee. I used an A518 transmission out of an early dodge truck, NP231 transfercase, dana 44A rear, 30 front. I had to use a long arm kit for the front to clear the starter and oil pan, so I chose a clayton's long arm 7" lift kit. I'm running 315-75-16 tires, and i've put about 2500 miles on it so far, and it works pretty nice. It has good power, and I've towed a 5000 pound car trailer around and it does just fine. All of my factory gauges work, except for the tach.

Here are some pictures

·
Registered
10 Posts
Looks Good!

What kind of intercooler did you shoehorn into that rig? Also, did you install an AC compressor on it?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Very cool. What gears do you have and what MPG are you getting?

·
Administrator
4,164 Posts
That looks nice but one thing really and honestly concerns me. Is that your battery positive cable running across the top of your engine? If it is and you have no other way of routing it you need to add two complete additional layers of abrasion resistant protection. The vibration and shut down shakes will wear a spot through the cable insulation and cause a dead short to ground that I guarantee will result in burning your Jeep to the ground and take along with it anything within ten feet. There could be nothing worse than seeing all that time and money go up in smoke. This is by no means intended to be criticism.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
the intercooler is just a cheap ebay unit, it's 20x8x3, it's not ideal, but it works ok.

I have 3.73 gears. 24-28mpg average. I'm thinking about swapping in a NV4500 and 3.31's.

That's an older picture of the positive battery cable running across the engine, I just had it like that for the first few test drives, it's all better now. Thanks for the input though, I'd hate to see my jeep go up in smoke! I've been meaning to clean up my wiring and making it look better, but i've been too lazy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sweet build!

How much time & money do you have into the 4BT swap? Just curious, because I'm looking at different vehicles to purchase just for this conversion. The Jeep GCherokee would make a nice vehicle for everyday driving.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sweet build!

How much time & money do you have into the 4BT swap? Just curious, because I'm looking at different vehicles to purchase just for this conversion. The Jeep GCherokee would make a nice vehicle for everyday driving.
I don't know how much it cost, or how long it took. The only thing about the grand cherokee is that you pretty much need at least 4 inches of lift to clear the differential. Making motor mounts was slightly more difficult to make than they are in a vehicle with a frame that you can weld to. I chose to make my mounts bolt in. I love driving it every day, it rides really nice with the long arm suspension, and it's reasonably quiet inside.

·
Registered
114 Posts
For Sale on Ebay?!

Did you decide that you didn't like it? I see you are selling this rig on Ebay. What's the story, there?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you decide that you didn't like it? I see you are selling this rig on Ebay. What's the story, there?
I don't expect it to sell, I was just wanted to see what it was worth before I swap the axles and install a 5 speed, just to see if it was worth starting from a new vehicle since this one works fine the way it is.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I don't expect it to sell, I was just wanted to see what it was worth before I swap the axles and install a 5 speed, just to see if it was worth starting from a new vehicle since this one works fine the way it is.
What axles? Looks like a solid rig as-is. I'd personally ditch the D30 though for a D44, unless you plan to go really wild. 5 speed in a grand cherokee - will the plain cherokee pedal assembly work in that?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Wow, I didn't think they were available in manual trim in the later years, seems like a rare setup if you could find one.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Wow, I didn't think they were available in manual trim in the later years, seems like a rare setup if you could find one.
1993 was the FIRST year of the ZJ Grand Cherokee. I just did a search on www.car-part.com and it appears that both 1993 & 1994 Grand Cherokees were available with a manual transmission when equipped with the 6 cylinder engine. The search generated a full page of results. I would call each salvage yard until I found one that had the pedal assembly available. Hopefully, you can get the master/slave assembly with it.

·
Registered
500 Posts
1993 was the FIRST year of the ZJ Grand Cherokee. I just did a search on www.car-part.com and it appears that both 1993 & 1994 Grand Cherokees were available with a manual transmission when equipped with the 6 cylinder engine. The search generated a full page of results. I would call each salvage yard until I found one that had the pedal assembly available. Hopefully, you can get the master/slave assembly with it.
the master/slave assembly can usually be replaced with aftermarket or upgrades from various transmission setups. It's getting the pedals mounted in the body that's always fun. I converted two suburbans from auto to manual, quite the PITA as far as removing & setting up stuff. One had manual linkage, the other had master/slave cyl. In my application the manual linkage worked better, I never could get the slave cyl setup in the 2nd suburban correctly. It kind of burnt me on manuals. :puke:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The cherokee pedal assembly fits in the zj, the only thing I need from a manual transmission grand cherokee is the center console, but I really don't even need that....i can just make something that fits. The clutch master/slave isn't a problem, I already have parts that will work from various dodges.

As for axles, I may go with 44's out of a wagoneer, or if I really want to spend some money, I'll go with a pair of 60's. I already have a rear, but I would prefer not having to narrow the axles, because I don't want full width axles. I'm leaning towards the 60's though, since wheeling is a lot more fun when you don't have to worry about breaking stuff. The ebay auction ended without meeting the reserve, so the jeep will be going under the knife again pretty soon.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
The cherokee pedal assembly fits in the zj, the only thing I need from a manual transmission grand cherokee is the center console, but I really don't even need that....i can just make something that fits. The clutch master/slave isn't a problem, I already have parts that will work from various dodges.

As for axles, I may go with 44's out of a wagoneer, or if I really want to spend some money, I'll go with a pair of 60's. I already have a rear, but I would prefer not having to narrow the axles, because I don't want full width axles. I'm leaning towards the 60's though, since wheeling is a lot more fun when you don't have to worry about breaking stuff. The ebay auction ended without meeting the reserve, so the jeep will be going under the knife again pretty soon.
60's and H2 rims is a pretty decent combo to keep it narrow, or even H1's, but then you are stuck with 16.5" wheels. The only thing to watch out for is with lots of back spacing, the hub might stick out.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
60's and H2 rims is a pretty decent combo to keep it narrow, or even H1's, but then you are stuck with 16.5" wheels. The only thing to watch out for is with lots of back spacing, the hub might stick out.

Is that what you have on your zj? I don't remember...I just don't want it to look too goofy, yours didn't look too bad from what I remember.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts