Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

mystery hose

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  blakerj10 
#1 ·
Guys,

I have searched and can't find what this hose is for. The closest pic I could find does not show what the hose attaches to. It is not the turbo oil feed, and on my engine it just kind of hangs there on the passenger side of the block. It comes out just below the oil filter. Is it a vent?

Thanks

#4 ·
Ditto, mine had the same thing. I removed the hose and installed a tee, then screwed on my oil pressure sender and supply to my bypass filter. I dont know what they originally had in mind there but its a goofy setup.
Carl

#5 ·
That other end of that hose was bolted to the frame. It was used in conjunction with the sensors of the automatic engine monitoring system which would shut down the engine if the engine lost oil pressure.

#6 ·
Thanks everyone, that was easy.

Carl Donica, I see you have a similar vehicle to my plan. I will be running this in a 78 chevy 1/2. It will have a NV4500 and 255/85R16 BFGs. How does yours do in overdrive? I see you have 3.54 gears and I am wondering if the 4bt can pull overdrive easily without a lot of shifting. I have 3.73 gears... maybe I need a 34 or 35" tire?

#9 ·
SDstriper,

No. It is about the same OD as the turbo oil feed line. It is also not the turbo oil return line.

Daryl B
Yeah, I know what size the 255/85s are and I love them. I just want to get my revs in the happy zone for crusing down the highway w/o shifting a lot. Without driving a 4bt at all, it is hard to know what tire/gear ratio it can pull. Thats why I asked Carl Donica, because he has almost the exact set-up (and similar vehicle size and weight) I will have. He has the 255s, same overdrive ratio manual transmission, just the next step taller gears.

I also want the narrowest (hence the 255/85s) taller tire I can get for more mpg and better in winter. Wheels will probably be 7s if I run the 255s. Problem is, if I am geared to low with 33s, and need to step to a 34-35, you get much wider (in radials). I also don't really have the option to experiment, as I need new wheel(two are shot) and tires before I drive it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.