Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok the milage quoted in most of the adds on the Washington trucks was not the milage on the truck but the motor. Except mine . Mine had the vehicle milage as 44 thousand . But the vehicle certainly has more milage than that . The speedo says 44000 . The engine is pretty clean with mild coating of oil film in spots .
Air filter has 6-30-01 and 38,088
Fuel has 12-15-01
Oil filter has 12-17-o3 and the oil is pretty darn clean looking
All the wear points on the pulleys had a tiny coating of rust from sitting.
marked on the fire wall is " next valve adjustment @ 58,000
The timing cover has been off in the past
The motor is an 86
I popped a valve cover and the oil was atad black but there is no sludge and the head shows clean metal when touched with a rag.
Looks like the head has never been off.
The representative implied that this engine had the lowest milage of the last bunch up for auction.
Engine burns no blue . and only farted some black when i screwed up on a shift point a few times on the road.
There is a little bit of oil at the bottom of the breather tube.
All the black paint that was tossed on the frame when the engine was changed to a 4bt is still there and shiny.
Engine fires on the first crank.

So what do you figure is on the thing ? I can not see how it is possible to have such low milage on a motor. But the air filter and oil filter dates would seem to indicate that the engine did not get much use . The fuel filter is clean on the outside and so is the oil filter for that matter. No oil film on either. The engine was not steam cleaned and the oil film wipes off with a rag.

I will pull the bottom end off this thing and know for sure what the milage is but from the outside this looks down right silly in the way of milage.

Bruce

·
Registered
225 Posts
According to records when I picked up my van , the engine had only 66000 miles on it. I was pretty scepticle but after running it for a year it must have been true. No oil leaks or usage, runs like a top.
Carl

1979 F-250 crew cab 4 x 4
4 bta with modified H1C
Cold air intake
ZF S-42 5 speed
Borg Warner 1356 x-case
Dana 60 rear
Dana 44 front
3.55 gears
255/85R16 tires (33.5x10.5)
Hydroboost steering and brakes
Custom 40 gal. fuel tank
Much more later

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point

There are no oil leaks on mine either. i gotta get a tach for the thing. It was all ear and hunting for the happy spot when i drove it yesterday.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I got a real clean 88 E350 that has 24k on the clock. The truck was in great shape. It looked so clean that it could have only 24K on it. It drove like new. Engine was clean, didn't smoke or leak. I ended up with the service records of the truck. It had 224K on the truck and the engine was installed buy grumman. The original invoice for the truck was in the folder. The 4bt option was like $900 more than the 300 six. Truck was less than 10K new in 88.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have bought a couple of the frito trucks. Both of mine had a sticker in the cab that said the speedo was replaced when they put the cummins in it, the sticker also had the recorded milage when it was swapped. One of my trucks had two stickers showing that it had been done twice. The truck was an 86 it showed that the engine had been done twice, and that they replaced the speedo when they did it. On the 4bta the clp tag swowed that it was a 2002 cummins recon moter, the speed shows 35,000 and it runs perfect.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts