Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1951 Dodge B3F
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe its been covered here before, but searching hadnt really turned up a whole lot. I have a parts 4-53N engine(missing governor and has stuck injectors) that I am hoping I can take the right side installed blower off and install on my left side blower equipped 1979 4-53T. I hear that its a simple performance modification to help flow more air. At this time, I do not plan to do much else, long term may be getting larger injectors but it has the normal truck injectors and a rebuild T04 turbo on it right now.

Is it possible to swap a N blower onto a T engine? and in my case is it really just swapping end plates since the blower is changing from the right side to the left side?

Thanks!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Yes, the N blower can be used on a T engine. My 4-53T is running an N blower and I have it bypassed at 10 psi. I haven't done any back to back comparisons with the T blower to see if it does indeed improve performance.

·
Registered
1951 Dodge B3F
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the N blower can be used on a T engine. My 4-53T is running an N blower and I have it bypassed at 10 psi. I haven't done any back to back comparisons with the T blower to see if it does indeed improve performance.
Thanks A310, I figured as much. I need to read the book more to see if just swapping end plates will help get the blower to the other side. Sounds like from reading here on the forum I should look at a new blower drive shaft(from Leid most likely) and also some slight modifications to the blower vanes to ensure they have turbo blower clearances.

Keep up the good work on your projects, I also read your posts on FB and also YouTube videos.

Reactions: A310

·
Registered
5 Posts
the only diffrerence is the T blower has a bypass built in , the only thing you will have to watch for is later T engines had the rear gears with a pitch change to lower gear noise ,

·
Registered
1951 Dodge B3F
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the only diffrerence is the T blower has a bypass built in , the only thing you will have to watch for is later T engines had the rear gears with a pitch change to lower gear noise ,
Thanks! This is not a silver T so I do not have the bypass unfortunately. I will check the gears but my plan was not to remove the blower driveshaft, so I do not think the rear gear pitch should matter, but will for sure check everything. I also heard you need to increase the blower vane clearances to the T spec to make sure under increased inlet temperature they have clearance to spin, evidently the N blowers had a tighter clearance between the blower lobes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
my bad , you already got the drive , so blower interchange should not be a problem , last turbo was a 3-53 , (no drive and gears on the blower ) and the engine was a silver but no tags and alpine green paint and nothing to ID it , very surprised to stumble across that one , as years go by so will the tags and ways to ID theses parts will take on some hair pulling

1 - 6 of 6 Posts