Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I got my Nissan SD22 powered diesel truck running and I want to get it running good. I originally drained the tank and added some #2 but I want to clean the tank out really good and the PO used BIO I believe and there is this nasty brown varnishy goop that smells awful and diesel doesn't dissolve it. Any tips, I want to pull the tank and rinse it out... Thanks.

·
Registered
187 Posts
That could just be natural mineral deposits for pertrol diesel. Bio-diesel doesn't leave a residue. It's true that, like petrol diesel, bio-diesel should be used within 6 months of creation and after that bio-diesel has the tendency to polymerize. If it is bio-diesel and the tank smells like paint, that's a giveaway it's past it's prime. Granted, if it were stored in a cool, dark place it can stay useable for up to two years some researchers say.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Also the bio is a little greenish-yellow in color when you drain it. I don't think it would be bad bio but it could be.. Also, bacteria growth in both diesel and biodiesel is common when it sits too long.. A

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also the bio is a little greenish-yellow in color when you drain it. I don't think it would be bad bio but it could be.. Also, bacteria growth in both diesel and biodiesel is common when it sits too long.. A
It looked like the grease that settled out in the bottom of a deep fat fryer ... yellow and the goo was rusty colored syrupy in consistency :rasta:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
polymer - shellac -varnish- lacquer

OK, I tried diesel, gas, isopropyl alcohol, mineral spirits I guess the next thing would be denatured alcohol, lacquer thinner or MEK. This could get expensive! Maybe some bio diesel would do it, if I can find some around here. I sloshed the diesel with marble in the tank and the alcohol suspended it for a little bit but the goo settles quick and sticks to the tank like crazy...
If this is what bio does when it gets old watchout!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Denatured Alcohol?

I took a sample of the goo and it seems to respond to D A, which methanol is in B D so I figure it is a "shellac" of sorts. I will post up the results when I get time to slosh it out..

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup!

The D A cut it, just like water in mud. I picked up some biodiesel just to see if will cut it as well. Nasty!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I wonder if the previous owner ran straight veggie cut with petrol diesel and was calling it "biodiesel". This would not be the first time I have run across people calling that mixture bio-d. Some of the veggie might not have been filtered correctly and settled out. I have never seen biodiesel cause this odd sludge. I have seen it clean out all sorts of other stuff though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts