Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon. Most of the projects I see here are for heavy metal, jeeps, broncos, suburbans ect. Can anyone give me their opinion on putting a 4BT into a early 80's GM midsize car? For example an Olds Cutlass, Chevy Malibu, Pontiac Bonneville? I believe those cars were available with a manual transmission, so setting up a clutch should work. They are commonly coverted to a 350 CID engine. What do you guys think of the idea? Thanks, Paul.

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
Good afternoon. Most of the projects I see here are for heavy metal, jeeps, broncos, suburbans ect. Can anyone give me their opinion on putting a 4BT into a early 80's GM midsize car? For example an Olds Cutlass, Chevy Malibu, Pontiac Bonneville? I believe those cars were available with a manual transmission, so setting up a clutch should work. They are commonly coverted to a 350 CID engine. What do you guys think of the idea? Thanks, Paul.
Where there's a will, and a sawzall, there is a way..

How about a 4BT into a Firebird? http://www.turbodieselregister.com/...owering-89-chevy-gmc-pontiac-cummins-4bt.html

While that's on another site, the guy that did it does occasionally stops in here, too..

·
Registered
500 Posts
For a DD application the 6.2NA Chevy might be a better bet. A few reasons

1. They'd easily get 20-25mpg in 4x4 Blazers, so pushing 30mpg might not be bad.

2. The weight is comparable or if not slightly less than the 4BT

3. Hood clearances & motor mounts would be quite easily dealt with

1 - 4 of 4 Posts