Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again. I am going to look at a used Merita van tomorrow. Knowing nothing about diesels (this is a 4bt) What should I look/listen for. The owner lives out of state and has informed me that I will need to bring a battery with me to start it. What should I do before I start it up?

Thanks for all of your knowledge.

Chorusguy

·
Registered
854 Posts
What should I do before I start it up?
If it has sat for quite some time, it may need to have the lever on the side of the fuel pump worked to prime the fuel system.

Watch for exhaust smoke on start up, look for breather tube blow-by, listen for weird noises.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Holy smokes,

I live in Sanford NC as well. Been looking for a van myself. Maybe you have a line on more than just that one?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Relating to looking at a potential 4BT to buy, I'll be seeing a guy next week about a Frito-Lay van. Sounds like it has a 4BT in it, but--not knowing anything about the van and less about 4BTs--was wondering what things to look for on the engine to see if its work buying from the guy. When I talked to the guy yesterday, I didnt get a good impression that it was actually running, so I'm assuming that it isnt running atm, although the van looks like it was recently running (very good shape from the sides that I saw from about 10 yards). If it is running, I've got some experience with GM 6.2L diesels to look at some of the obvious things; smoke in exhaust, smell of exhaust, oil in coolant, blow-by at dipstick and breather hoses, leaks, odd noises.

Is there anything to identify a better motor than others? Or better years? Skimming thru this forum, I see some posts about the different types of injector pumps (vane vs inline vs VE?). Ultimately, I'm thinking of this as a new powerplant for my Isuzu Amigo :idea: (or possibly something else), if/when the stock motor gives out. Would also appreciate some kind of idea what 4BT rebuildable cores go for in case it isnt running.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts