Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
currently my 4bt has a ford setup on it with a t-19. what do i need to change in order to use a zf 5speed? what model/year bellhousing will work with my adapter plate the diesel or the 5.8 liter one and whats the difference? will my current t-19 clutch/flywheel work? basically what do i need to convert the t-19 to a zf with overdrive?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't have mine up and running yet, but any ZF from a small block gas motor will bolt right up. I'm using a 5 speed from an 89' Ford F150 truck that was rebuilt. Flywheel and pressure plate are original equipment to the cummins, but you have to buy a different clutch, as the splines were diferent to mate to the ZF.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Easy Id of a Small Block ZF-S542 is the top two holes are 5.125" as shown in the picture. The Large Block hole spacing is 7.750". Also I have been told that there were different ratios available in both large and small block, I dont have any info on the ratios. This info was supplied by Roger at Ford Cummins.

Paul

·
Registered
645 Posts
The small block ZF5 uses an internal slave cylinder so you will need that also, I'm not familiar with the slave setup on the T19. Your best bet is probably to get the master cylinder too from a junker F150 with a 300, 302 or 351 with either a ZF5 or the Mazda M5R2 5 spd. I recommend getting a new slave from Ford, they are more than an aftermarket but I have not had good luck with aftermarket internal slaves and they are a PITA to change. The big block 460 and the diesel ZF 5 use external slave cylinders but it would be a LOT of work to adapt one to the Cummins Ford adapter, I thought about doing that to get rid of the internal slave setup but decided it wasn't worth it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
trans

The T-19 is an external slave. I was wondering according to the clutch itself which pieces that I have are re-useable, or is it easier to just buy a whole complete clutch, reason being is the clutch i have is new looking

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have mine up and running yet, but any ZF from a small block gas motor will bolt right up. I'm using a 5 speed from an 89' Ford F150 truck that was rebuilt. Flywheel and pressure plate are original equipment to the cummins, but you have to buy a different clutch, as the splines were diferent to mate to the ZF.
what throwout bearing did you use? does that trans have an internal slave?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don't know anthing about the Ford ZF, good or bad. Is it up to the task behind the 4BT? Sounds like a good cheap swap for five gears. -wingnut13

·
Registered
645 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
I don't know anthing about the Ford ZF, good or bad. Is it up to the task behind the 4BT? Sounds like a good cheap swap for five gears. -wingnut13
They were behind the 7.3 diesels in F450's, they will take anything a 4BT can put out. Early ones were ZF S5-42 meaning 420 lb-ft, later ones S5-47 good for 470 Lb-ft.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ford zf

is the diesel and the small block the same internal transmission?? doesn't the diesel have a external slave, is that all thats different??

·
Registered
60 Posts
Nice torque ratings:) I may be out in the junkyards this weekend trolling for one of those. It shouldn't be too hard to find one if they are in that many trucks.

Now here's another question...... If it is a 4wd trans did Ford use the same round mounting flange that is common to so many different transfer cases?

Orangebaja, It shouldn't be too hard to find out, goto a parts house and ask for an late 80's ford truck throwout bearing shouldn't it be the same?

·
Vendor
2,695 Posts
Ford also has a 3sp. +OD looks like np435 but with OD, if you dont need 435 1st gear its a good tranny, plus cast iron not alum. Till I put in 366 spring, on 435 seems likes fast shifting not even using first. Depends on vehicle also, used 435 in EFB, Zfs a long tranny!

·
Registered
645 Posts
is the diesel and the small block the same internal transmission?? doesn't the diesel have a external slave, is that all thats different??
Yes, same internally except gear ratios. Both the 460 big block and diesel have external slaves, you can tell them by the slve cylinder mount cast into the case.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Nice torque ratings:)
Now here's another question...... If it is a 4wd trans did Ford use the same round mounting flange that is common to so many different transfer cases?

(QUOTE]

Yes, the T-case mounting is the round six hole pattern common to many Fords. the BW 1356 Tcase from my F150 will bolt right up to the ZF-5 that I am putting in. The BW1356 has a real nice low range, about 2.7:1. The small block ZF-5 has a granny 1st (5.73) so you can get a real nice low-low crawl ratio with the BW1356 Tcase.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sorry I didn't see some of the questions posted earlier - looks like others have already answered though;

The ZF's come in two configs -
- ZF-S-42
- ZF-S-47

both trannys come in close and wide ratio's. The 42 means it is rated for 420 ft/lbs torque and likewise the 47 means 470 ft/lbs torque. The 47's won't fit the adapter plate that is found in the ford breadvans - although I'm sure you coud pay someone to make one for you - the upside of the 47's is that they have a clutch fork - to be used with mechanical linkage or hydraulic slave. The 42's only come with an internal hydraulic slave.

You can find the ZF-S-42 bolted to ford trucks (150, 250, 350) in 4x2 and 4x4 configs with 4.9l or 5.8l motors from 1988 through 2001.

Ratio's for the ZF-S-42
Wide 5.72 2.94 1.61 1.00 0.76
Close 4.14 2.37 1.42 1.00 0.76

Ratio's for the ZF-S-47
Close 5.08 2.60 1.53 1.00 0.77
Couldn't find the wide ratio's for the 47, but I have heard they exist.

Hope this helps
Craig

·
Registered
808 Posts
Craig, Excellent info...Thanks !

I will be searching for a ZF-S542 ( 2 wheel drive) in the near future. How do you identify whether its a close or wide ratio ? Is the a data plate

Paul

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
trans

Ford also has a 3sp. +OD looks like np435 but with OD, if you dont need 435 1st gear its a good tranny, plus cast iron not alum. Till I put in 366 spring, on 435 seems likes fast shifting not even using first. Depends on vehicle also, used 435 in EFB, Zfs a long tranny!
What is the model number on this? what did it come in? how does it hold up?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Craig, Excellent info...Thanks !

I will be searching for a ZF-S542 ( 2 wheel drive) in the near future. How do you identify whether its a close or wide ratio ? Is the a data plate

Paul - the close ratios only came on the diesel trans, the small block ones like the one you need only came with the wide ratio gear set. So get one from behind a 300 six, 302 or 351 and it will be a wide ratio. The S5-42 came in the small block trucks in model years 1988,89,92,94 and 94 1/2. The S5-47 came in model year 1996 and 97. The data plate will show the ZF model no, S5-42 or S5-47, the Ford part number, the 1st and 5th ratios and some other stuff. The Ford part no. you want for the small block will begin with E8TA, E9TA, F2TA, or F4TA for the S5-42 which designates year 88,89,92 or 94 respectively. The S5-47 will have a Ford number beginning with F6TA. The small block data plate will also show 5.72 - 0.76 for the 1st and 5th ratios.

Steve

Reactions: mikeindustries
1 - 20 of 50 Posts