Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I think what Russ is talking about is Aligning the bellhousing to the crankshaft.
I've not heard of this being done with a automatic transmission, For manual trans I think it's mandatory.
Yes - The actual measurement procedure is "above my pay grade"

Afterthought: Look at the broken off surfaces on the flexplate. If some of the surfaces are discolored, dirty or rusty - the failure happened over a period of time. It everything is bright and shiny, it was a quick failure.

Looking at the flexplate picture in Post # 13, I "think" I see old cracks that have lots of age showing on them.

Russ

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,719 Posts
Yes - The actual measurement procedure is "above my pay grade"

Afterthought: Look at the broken off surfaces on the flexplate. If some of the surfaces are discolored, dirty or rusty - the failure happened over a period of time. It everything is bright and shiny, it was a quick failure.

Looking at the flexplate picture in Post # 13, I "think" I see old cracks that have lots of age showing on them.

Russ
Yes, I agree.
I do remember way back in the late 90's that the Dodge people (Diesel) were complaining of "weak" flexplates on the first gen Dodge Diesels. Maybe this is one of those? Or because this was behind a 4B it's related to the firing pulse of the 4 cylinder? Maybe something I get to look forward to.

Reactions: Russ McLean
21 - 22 of 22 Posts