Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright. Looking to do a 4BT swap and can't find a good donor for under 2k. However I just found this, and live several hours away and can't really go to identify it. This guy said its a 4 cyl Cummins "220" motor. However, it looks like the generator/pump version with the intake facing up instead of down. Please take a look and give me some feed back. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah, forgot to mention. He said its the "100hp" version. Doesn't seem to know much about it however. Thinks it was made in the 70's. He just recently bought it a year ago but did nothing with it he said.

·
Registered
126 Posts
looks similar to the Marine version. Even after getting the right cam and other items to de-tune it, the adapter would be a lot of work...

·
Registered
854 Posts
70's? That thing looks like from the 50's!

Looks like a NTC855 with 2 cyls chopped off. It has two heads instead of three. Has a coolant manifold across the top. Probably weighs about 1200 lbs, too.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Okay, wow! My advice is to stay away! What you see is an old model, likely from the early '80's or older. It is a 4B (no turbo). Looks like it is part of a powerplant, but not near like the newer ones. I have a 4BT from a powerplant and it needs rebuilt or turned in as a core. But even mine would take a lot of work (and money) to convert to be used in a vehicle application. Your best bet is to get one that was previously in an automotive application. Good luck!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Oh yeah, what LincTex said ... that engine doesn't look like a 4B upon closer inspection. The coolant manifold setup is wicked different that any 4B that I have ever seen.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I think it's a Marine Version: i.e a BOAT ANCHOR!

·
Registered
854 Posts
Dammit you guys, it has NOTHING in common with the 4B other than it has 4 cylinders!!!!!!!!

It ISN'T marine, either!

It is one of these with two cylinders chopped off:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate your feedback guys, really do. However, I do have a question. You mention that it has nothing in common with that 6 cyl you showed. However I was curious to what is that motor you are showing. Specs etc if you could. Just curious. THanks again.

·
Registered
854 Posts
You mention that it has nothing in common with that 6 cyl you showed.
WRONG. It has everything in common with that 6 cyl and NOTHING in common with a 4BT

1 - 10 of 10 Posts