Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im new to the forums been a lurker to all of em but never posted and dont generally participate in forums so if this is in the wrong section im sorry but i dont think my question has been answered. I have an 88 isuzu pickup and i want to swap in a diesel for gas mileage and better low end than the measley 2.3l. I've been researching em all but i still dont know what exactly would suit me. This truck is fairly light as is so ik itd be a good candidate for a swap but im wondering what is in my means. 4bt seems to be dated to me and wouldnt give me the goal im looking for low weight diesel with good mpg. The two engines im thinking of is the isuzu diesel in the npr, a volkswagen 2.0tdi, or im wondering if i should just deal with being a slowpoke and swap in the diesel that came with these trucks as a option. This is a plan for when i have a good chunk of change such as 5k which probably is still on the cheap side. I feel like with the 2.0tdi with a dpf delete and free flowing exhaust i should have good pick up and the mpg should be in the 50s highway? Ive looked up the engine weight for the industrial 2.0tdi and it is i think 156kg without any accesories which even if the electronics added 100 pounds itd only be 100 more than the stock 4 cylinder in my truck and i feel this can get the most power while remaining efficient. Any thoughts ik i probably will get harped on for asking as it will probably be a pita to get the harness to work well with my truck but im just looking to build something 1/4 the cost of a new car that should last me 15 years and have enough pickup to carry around service tools and a heavily loaded bed. I have no hands on experience around diesels as far as knowing exactly what i need. Thank you for everything and happy mardi gras.

·
Registered
860 Posts
i think you talked yourself into the Tdi---there are a few swaps in here----and a pile of them on the Tdi site.....and you can swap in a mechanical pump if you like...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts