Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for fuel modifications for my P-pumped 4bt I'm running raptor fuel pump, and a 4k governor spring with stock injectors (which i want to keep with stock). On the engine I have 60# over valve springs. The engine is intercooled air to air with a cold air intake. Im most likely going to do a fuel plate but am unsure which one to use, and I am thinking about a hamilton cam cause they say they run better and it helps turbo spool up time. Right now I have and HX30W holset. Is there any turbo modification kits that will help this be a prime turbo? Am only looking for 180 to 190HP. Thanks your help and suggestions!

·
Registered
208 Posts

I have a Colt stage two cam and like it for my off road application, I also have used two fuel plates tuning my three turbos. The BD diesel #10 was a bit aggressive for me and was a little hard to tune but fun to drive, the plate that’s in now is a custom ground plate that the shop built when they calibrated my pump to flow 115 lb/hr and it’s similar to the blue plate in the picture below.

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
At that power level, you're probably just a few tweaks away from getting that. Stock injectors are good to at least 250 hp. Stock turbo is good. Adjust the waste gate so you can build more boost. If you wanted a bit more might look at a Super HX30W or for even faster spooling a HE221W. Fuel plate is another animal. Before you buy a new one, might try sliding it forward. Some even remove it completely.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay cool, Ill have to see what I can do with the turbo. I might try to find a super hx because this is my daily driver so I don't want to spend a ton of money on the he221w! But thank you char1355

·
Registered
208 Posts
Does BD make a fuel plate thats more ideal and whats the #?

As char1355 said you will most likely get to your power levels with just tuning alone, I would hold off buying a fuel plate until you determine that you need more fuel in a certain RPM range.
Fuel plates alter the area (RPM range) and the total amount of fuel in that area your pump will deliver. Only you will know what plate best fits your requirements for safe tune and driving style, it’s going to take some trial and error to find that best fit. My issue with the #10 plate was it was like driving a two stroke motorcycle, once I got max safe fueling set for max RPM I was over fueling in the mid RPM range and as I would drive through that area it would get a boost of instant power with lots of smoke and high EGT’s. This same plate could work very well for you depending on your RPM range, injectors, turbo, timing, AFC settings, boost levels, vehicle weight, power requirements and driving style.
This picture might help.
“0” plate will give max set fueling as soon as you start making boost at all RPM ranges.
#100 Plate will limit low RPM fuel and give max high RPM when making boost.
TST 10 plate will limit high and low RPM fuel and give max fuel in the mid RPM range when making boost.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow thanks for the information. I just want a little more power for towing and possibly passing. So i figure I'll have to just grind it myself until I figure out what makes it what I want. I really don't want high EGTs!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts