Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey.... my deutz tractor is starting and idling in proper fashion. However when i give it throttle it goes sometimes and other times will just back down to normal idle.

I am fairly mechanical and know my way around gas motors however diesel is new to me..:D

I have put new fuel in tank... also because i just bought this and was not told how long it was sitting (wasp nests and the sort of friends they have) i put a quart of tranny fluid into the tank and let it set for a few nights....

She starts right up and runs pretty good, however it seems as soon as i get on the road and give it the throttle its just does nothing..
any ideas?

Help

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
There should be a plunger on the injection pump, give it a couple pumps when the engine is running. Then try to throttle it up. It sounds like the engine is starving for fuel. Diesels need just fuel and air to run, too much of one and not the other will cause what you are describing. I'd start with the basics, prime the pump when the engine is running, be sure the air cleaner is clean and adequately sized for the engine, and make sure the engine is clean. Like any air cooled engine, it would be a good idea to clean all of the cylinder fins with compressed air before running the engine too long. It is also a good idea to blow out the fins of the oil cooler, if it has one. Depending on the age of the engine, it might have either a straight oil cooler or a spiral cooler in the blower housing. Deutz built the finest air cooled diesel engines, should you need parts, Memo-Omega in Texas is a good place to buy genuine and aftermarket Deutz parts. You could probably also see if there is a Fahr or SAME tractor dealer in your area, as Deutz engines were used in those tractors.

Chris

1 - 2 of 2 Posts