Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I did a search on this, and found several threads, some even asking the same thing, but no answers.

What is the part# for the gear on that power steering pump? What resevoirs are compatable? Are they all hydroboost units?

My 4bt did not come with that pump, and I really need one! I've looked on Craig's list, E-bay (missed one by 10 bucks:puke: ), and I have a wanted classified up. No luck!! I am ready to bite the bullet and go to the Cummins dealer! I inquired, but the guy, without looking in a parts cataloge, said it is pobably a Ford part #:confused: .

I suspect the pump is, but as for the actual gear....

I throw myself at the mercy of the forum! I need help!!

Thanks in advance to everyone!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I understand the frustrations. I think I can answer some of your questions but not all. Here's what I think I've found out over the past few days. I pulled the pump with gear out off of the motor that I recently bought. The pump itself appears to be a standard saginaw pump as found on many GM vehicles. This includes the reservoir which is attached to and surrounds the back side of the pump. Looks pretty much like this one except it has two returns coming into the reservoir can, one return from the hydroboost brakes, and one return from the power steering box.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...80204211489&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123

I think what it is, is a standard saginaw box that is bolted up to a geardrive adapter. I'll look at mine tonight and see if I can find a part number for the gear drive assembly. I believe there was a number cast into the "adapter". I believe what you will need is the whole gear drive adapter assembly as opposed to just putting a gear on the pump itself. I'm new here so I'm still learning. I'm sure there are many, more knowledgable folks on this forum than me.

Hope this helps a little.
Dan

·
Administrator
4,174 Posts
Power steering pump, (pump only, no mounting bracket) 1989 4BT, Cardone 208709, so what ever reservoirs that fit this pump are interchangeable.

The gear has the same tooth count and profile as the ones used on the 89-93 Dodge Cummins. Currently unknown if they also share the same bore dimension.

I have no information on the mounting bracket. Apparently Cummins used a rubber stamp to mark this part. Maybe someone with a build sheet for a CPL 858 can provide this.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I had also found this supposedly for a CPL 858. I think this was on the yahoo site.

Pump, power steering - NAPA 20-8709

I don't know how this matches up to the cardone number but I think it's for the complete pump with reservoir.

BTW when I say complete pump, I mean pump only without the gear drive assembly.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OMG Thanks for saving my sanity! There is hope! I am still trying to locate one via junk yards, ebay, ect... and I will keep checking daily here to see if anyone has fond the part #'s.

Thanks everybody!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an 858 with the GM pump, and couldnt find squat on quickserve. I think it is a cummins adapter, but not spec'd with the CPL.

It has an option listed DF9000:

Content For Engine Serial Number (ESN): 48105063

BACK TO OPTION LIST | PRINT OPTION DETAIL
Electronic Parts Catalog - Option Detail
Option Group Graphic Film Card Date
DF9000 09.04 null T 15-JAN-93
Engines QSB3.9-30, QSB4.5-30, QSB5.9-44, G3.9, 4B3.9, ISB, 6B5.9, B5.9 Gas, G5.9, B Gas Plus, B4.5s, B6.7s, ISB (4 cylinder), ISBe (4 cylinder), ISBe (6 cylinder), ISB (6 cylinder Common Rail Fuel System), B5.9LPG, B LPG Plus, QSB5.9-30, B4.5, B Gas International, QSB5.9 (Common Rail Fuel System), QSB6.7, ISBe4 (6 cylinder), ISBe4 (4 cylinder), QSB4.5, ISB CM2150, ISDe CM2150

Option For-Sale Part Name Remarks
DF9000 NO DF9000 Front Gear Train Accesory

Ref No Part Number For-Sale Shopping Cart Part Name Required Remarks
DF9000 NO Front Gear Train Accessory Front Gear Train Accesory
Drive
NO CONTENT OPTION Used When An Air Compressor
or Hydraulic Pump is Used.

Nothing really more than info saying it has a provision for a pump.

Answer anything? well no, but it was entertaining! :rasta:

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
The gear and the adapter are a Cummins part.. I'm sure someone has one that they pulled off in favor of a PS/vacuum unit from a 6BT...

·
Registered
275 Posts
There is a number cast into my gear drive housing or adapter or what ever it's called. The number is 3910656 This is cast on one side and on the other side it has "USA" cast into it. That's all I could find without disassembling stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts