Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother has an old diesel engine driving a pump which we need to ID before we pull it for reconditioning.

All I know is it's a 6 cylinder, factory turbo from an old british bus. I suspect it's a Leyland or BMC. Intake and exhaust manifolds on the same side of the head (right hand side) with the turbo forward mounted.

Powerwise I think it's between 100-200hp but most of those horses have long since bolted. I've found some references to 5.7 litre 6 cylinder BMC engines (similar format to the cummins 6BT) and am wondering if anyone knows enough to confirm or deny.

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
the rolls royce units were NON cross flow (in /ex same side)
cummins b/c are cross flow (in LH / ex RH ) commers have a scavenger pump and are a pancake engine
some daimlers used renamed jimmy 6-71s which are non cross flow but DO have a scavenger pump

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Got it. Moved to the Perkins section because it's a Perkins 6.354 probably a -2 model due to the rope seals around the crank.

Anyone got any leads on parts? Looking for a cylinder liner/piston/ring kit.

I'm also looking for the service manual for it. We have one but it has been through the wars and isn't usable. Was in a building which caught fire, the water used to put out the fire has glued all the pages together.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts