Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, I decided to take the challenge. Saw a video on UTube, and now I have to do it.

I wanna swap a 4BT into my Ranger.

Tell me any and everything I need to know. I'm not a dumbass, but I know NOTHING about how to do this swap, so let me in on the info. I have read "Rancinwaynes" buildup, but he doesn't show his motor mounts.

91 ranger, 2wd, but I am swapping a D60 into it at both ends. 5.13's and 38" tires.

Got some questions...

Will an NV4500 bolt up?
Adapters?
Other tranny options?
Will an Atlas II T-case hold the torque?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mook, you have a SWEET rig, but I'm afraid It isn't what I am looking for.

I like the fact that I can simply get in and drive cause its already sitting on D60's and got the 4BT swapped in, but I want something ex cab, and all my spare body parts are for the Gen II body style.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Standard cab frames are different from Ext cab frames.

I'm by no means slamming his rig, its VERY nice, just not what I am looking for if I buy one already done.

Besides.....buying one is kinda like cheating right? I mean, isn't part of the fun doing it yourself that way when you tell your buddies about it, you can HONESTLY say you did it yourself?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Put a Ford small block ZF S5-42 or Mazda M5R2 in it with a 205 t-case.
Will the M5R2 mate up to the NP205? I thought it was for 2WD swaps only :confused:

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
73 to 97 Ford fullsize T-case are all 31 spline and have the same 6 bolt pattern. They all interchange. The M5R2 is made in both 2wd and 4x4 versions.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm in the process of this same conversion. My rig is a 1995 extended cab 4x4. I installed a 3" body lift, 4" trail master suspension lift, NV4500, NP 241. Currently, I have not modified anything on the truck except the tranny cross member is moved back 2". I am even using the stock engine mounts....(hope I don't regret this later). The drivers side I'm using the mid mount location and the passengers side the front mount. I made the drivers side motor mount last night, and am making the passengers tomorrow night. I will get pics after they're made.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gaza,
I did search. You think I am that dense. All I found was info that it could be done using what I asked about, now how it was done. If you have nothing to bring to my thread, please step off, otherwise your help is much needed and appreciated.

Average,

Both of those trannies are kind hard to find around here. I can rebuild the M5R2 as I have the special tools (and the know-how from rebuilding the M5R1 as many times as myself and my buddies have blown ours during trail runs(, so that is an adavntage, but I would rather use the ZF more than the M5R2, and the NV4500 the most of all.

Kopp,

Please let me get a copy of those pics asap!!!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Gaza,
I did search. You think I am that dense. All I found was info that it could be done using what I asked about, now how it was done. If you have nothing to bring to my thread, please step off, otherwise your help is much needed and appreciated.
While Gaza may come across that way, when you see a guy with 1-2 posts asking pretty basic questions or "Tell me everything I need to know" without actually having read most of the info (FAQ, Releavant Buildup threads, Motor mount thread, etc) It gets rather annoying. That's when I usually throw out Moses or Dirty Harry

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did use the search...hwo do you think I know what I can and cannot use, and know of atleast 2 guys who have done the swap and have the info I need.

MookTank and Racinwayne

·
Registered
713 Posts
I would also recommend some 4.56s if you go with a manual trans. 5.13s may be spinning the engine too much.

Do yourself a favor and do a body lift too. My trans has some spots where it's 3/4" away from the body.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Gaza,
I really have no idea how dense you are. You might find you get more help if you have a little less attitide. Which part of my "try a search and then come back if you have anymore Q's" did you find so offensive?

Gaza

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
Use the Search, Luke!

Well, the search can be one of those "feast or famine" things..

If the site's search gets me nowhere, I just use Google, and be sure to put:

site:4btswaps.com

at the end of the search parameters. Restricts it to only this site, and does a better job sometimes..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts