Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO Guys I've screwed up... I hate to admit the older I get the more this happens .But I'm an old parts man & this ain't normal for me.
But I ordered a set of injectors from E-Bay because they were a lot cheaper .
I believe I gave 46.99 ea. for them
... but now their wrong .
SO I deliver parts for a truck dealership .. SO I took my engine serial number into the back counter . & I should have the correct ones.
But as I said their wrong.
They are too large on the top nut.
SO IS there an adapter to add between the injector & the line nut ..
.. OR WHAT'S THE CORRECT NUMBERS FOR NEW LINES. I've had 2 lines seeping . So I expect it's time for new lines..
I need new lines for my 4BT & THE BIGGER NUTS ON THE lines..
anyone know what to tell me I need.

THANKS .

·
Selling 4bt & 6bt parts to all of N.America
373 Posts
Somewhere somehow the numbers your using to find a set of inj's are obviously wrong. Your describing a set of the larger 14mm threads on the inj's that are used for the P7100 engines, more specifically for the 1994-98 12v Cummins motor. Your needing the 12mm thread VE injectors.
Your going to have a very tough time trying to find adapters. I know that much.

·
Registered
11,029 Posts
Papitt, sounds like your engine originally had the injectors with 9mm tips. The fuel lines for those have a smaller size thread. Later models changed to the 7mm tips which had the larger top nut on the injector body. Not sure those were ever offered on the VE pump 4bt models. Are you holes in the head for 7mm or 9mm? If they are 9mm and you use the 7mm tip you install a special 2mm sleeve to make up the difference. Cummins part 3919358 which is cheap. Cummins sells a replacement injector with the 7mm tip and smaller head nut. They ain't $47 each. Probably close to 3 times that. I'm not sure about injection lines with the larger nuts. They may not exist for the VE pump 4bt. It could be possible and I emphasis the word could that 6bt lines could be the same as the 4bt. If so, the 91.5-93 Dodges had the 7mm head and I think larger nut. I've got the part numbers for your lines but I'll see if I can find the Dodge units to see if any of the numbers match.

PS. Just checked the part numbers. None of the early 6bt VE lines match the 4bt so that's a no go. That's probably why Cummins sells those injectors with the smaller body so they didn't have to make special fuel lines.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Char .. SO I'VE got 12MM threads on top of my old injectors. The one's I pulled out. & I called an Injection shop today. He said the company from EBAY I got my injectors FROM, sent me 6BT INJECTORS . I thought you could interchange 6 & 4BT injectors .But he said... NOT.
HE TOLD me .A. It's not my injectors keeping my rig from running . SO He says I;m working on the working problem.
He says I'm starving for fuel after a few minutes.
... I'd still like to have a new set of Injectors .& Lines. Because 2 of my lines are seeping at the top nuts.
.....JUST for the record my old injectors ha this number on them 9533-245.7 maybe H7C27-=... & on top it has KDAL 59P5 ..& It has BOASH & SOME MORE NUMBERS on it but The other injectors ar out in the shop & It raining hard out side .

·
373 Posts
To set the record straight 7 mm nozzles or 9 mm nozzles on VE inj’s all had the 12 mm threads at the top of the injectors and all the VE injector lines have a 12mm female threads.
Same deal with the 6BTVE engines whether 9 mm nozzles or 7 mm nozzles all had the 12 mm threads on the top of their injectors.
And anyone that told you a 4BT injector for a VE engine is different then a 6BT injector, doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Only the nozzle hole count, size of hole and angle of the nozzles, determine the application. Depending on what year of the engine & hp rating, determined what nozzles they got. Even the early 6BT VE engines had four holes per nozzle, same size holes & angle as the early 4bt and only did the 6bt VE engines move into six hole at 1991.5

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Char that sounds more like I thought ..
Now do you know what the cummins numbers should be for my replacement injectors.
... I'll say then Mine are 12mm up on top. & 9mm nozzles .

·
Registered
11,029 Posts
Mark, I wasn't sure if the 91.5-93 6 hole injectors were 12mm tops or not. The injector lines for those have a totally different part number than the earlier units. Wouldn't have thought having the intercooler would have affected the the lines.

Papitt, I believe the replacement injectors for your engine would be part 3802330 or 3802330RX. The RX is the reman units. Those have 12mm inlet and 7mm tips. I spotted a set of 4 of the Cummins RX units on ebay for $149.99 shipped or best offer. That seems like a hell of a good price. Those even include the 7mm to 9mm sleeves. Oregon Fuel Injection sells rebuilt units for $89 each and Diesel Parts Direct sells the Cummins units for $200.57 each and that's discounted. LOL. Here's the link to those on ebay. Cummins INJ B SERIES 12MI 7MT 3802330-RX OEM REMAN SET OF 4(FOUR) NO CORE | eBay

·
373 Posts
Charlie, the reason the 91.5-93 injector lines are different than the 1989-91 inj lines is the 89-91 non-ic pumps had longer dv holders vs the ic pump had shorter dv's...hence the lines need to be different & would be a different # and of course, different than a 4bt.

·
Registered
11,029 Posts
Thanks Mark. Always a good day when you learn something that you didn't know. I was a little surprised that none of the early 6bt VE injection lines were the same as a 4bt.. On a P pump some of them do but I guess the rotary arrangement of the VE makes the difference.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I'm laughing at myself. I've got 35 years in parts ...7 years at Chrysler . & Now about 10 in the big truck area.
My Boss was a Freightliner dealership But Freight kept trying to make him buy every thing through them . SO He dropped them & went independent. So we handle all truck stuff .
& I deliver it all day. . & I STILL GET STUMPPED at times.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
... OK I guess I should keep everyone involved in how I fix this. I hope i'm fixing this issue.
SO I've shipped my 4 cores To a mfg in TENNESSEE this morning .. They could not Identify them from number , so they suggested I send them into them & They rebuild them & Ship them back tome in a week... & GIVE or TAKE a couple of Buck this cost us 36.99 each but I'll pay about 42.00 each . So I'll try & fill you in How this next adventure works out...
.. Now I will say where I work The boss buys from the MFG . HE'S Normally cutting out 2 steps .He put a nice chunk into his pocket . Rather sweet for a Mom & Pop operation .

·
Registered
11,029 Posts
That's a very good price for rebuilds. Twice that would be closer to normal except from Cummins. They're in a price zone somewhere in another galaxy.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK Guys .. I'll update somewhat.. SO I was too busy yesterday to check & see if the MFG. got my UPS Shipment .But I called them today.& They got It yesterday like it was supposed to happen . & She sent it over to the rebuild department & their working on them. But they'll be shipped out Friday most likely .. & I' should get them back about Wednesday..

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was busy today & I left them alone. Really I don't want to act like '' Customer'' ../ Although I expect I could push on this Girl because I'm sure she is a new Employee.. But this may not have been her 1st job also. SO I'll give her to about Tuesday before I check back in with her. . I'm an old guy in this business .. SO Most importante don't piss her off.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I got a call from the young lady in Tennessee & she said she is to receive my injector over night & She'll ship them to me & I'm supposed to get them Friday. . I'm hoping she is correct.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I got a call today from Pro Diesel. tHEY SAID THEY GOT MY INJECTORS & are shipping them out THURSDAY . ''TODAY''. & i'M NOW SUPPOSED TO GET THEM MONDAY OR Tuesday next week.
I'll be glad to get them.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just to keep up with this post . & Too keep you posted . My injectors did not show up today. I really didn't expect them But I do expect them by Tuesday. .. Glad I'm patient man .

1 - 20 of 45 Posts