Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
OK Guys I got my injectors in today. My cost 41.60 each 4 were $166.40
freight was 18.59
I didn't get them in as we had heifers to give shots of Lutilize or Prostaglandin .. It's a product to make all your heifers come into heat all on the same day. & We took them to another farm where there is a tall Red Braham bull.
This way when your keeping an eye on your 1st calf heifers . They should all calve in 2 days.
... SO MAYBE TOMORROW .

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
ok Me & Jimmy got home this evening ... He put in my new injectors & It did take a couple of minutes to crank .But when it did it ran & didn't die.
... Later I cranked it & drove it around one of my front 5ac. pastures. I drove it about 16 minutes & It almost died ... It dropped back from about 1500 RPM's too maybe about 600rpms , But it jumped right back up to about 1600 & I drove it about another 12 / 15 minutes ... ALL GOOD. Now I'll drive it some more the next few days ..
.... I sure hope this thing is back to running correct.
... I honestly don't think it's fixed yet. But I sure don't know where to go from here.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
One of the items I'm thinking may be my issue . Remember I'm running an electric lift pump from my 2000 24V .
& I'm wondering that I maybe loosing ground from time to time. I don't think it on the Power side of the pump or loosing power for a moment ...
... While I like the electric lift pump ... But lets face it the old manual pump has ran forever.
& I'd not hear that elec. pump working.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
OK THEN I'LL Ask is the 4BT manual lift pump & the 6 Bt lift pump the same.
We work on, no 4BT's at work ,so noone really knew the answer to that question today.
... But I believe they will at least interchange. . & this number 3936316 Cummins is just $24.86... on ebay.
... What can some of you guys tell me.

·
Registered
11,061 Posts
If you're talking about the mechanical diaphragm lift pump, the 4bt and 6bt should be the same. That part # 3936316 is not the correct pump for a VE injection pump. That is the piston model for a P7100 injection pump. Won't work on your engine. The diaphragm type looks like the one in the photo below. That part # was 3904374 or Case Tractor part J904374 which is now 84142216.Those pumps don't have the best reputation for longevity. The newest Cummins number is 4983584. There is a piston lift pump option for the VE that was used on some industrial engines. That one is best if you want one that may last about forever. It isn't cheap. Cummins part numbers for the pump are 3936320, 4944714, and new number is 4988751. You can find those priced from $22.99 for the knock offs on ebay to around $150+ for the genuine Cummins item. The photo below shows the complete kit for that conversion. The supply line from the pump to the fuel filter is the same as a 4bt P7100. There are a couple different part number for that one. One is 3917280 and a newer number 3927637. That kit also includes spacer, gaskets, bolts, etc. If you need those part numbers I can get them for you.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks CHAR .
so Before I break something .. Do these pumps need the spacers .. & I guess I should ask do both styles on those pumps both need spacers .
.... SO I Believe what I read from your post is new no. 3927637 is the kit you think is the best one.
... & As I read your info you said Cummins new no. 4988751 DOESN'T Last as long as you'd like it to last.
But I only drive my Bronco maybe 500 miles a year. SO I don't think I ever know it didn't last.
... & The CASE Number is 84142216. & I have 3 JIC Case tractors so I'm at the case house a few times a year.
But I work for a truck Parts & repair shop ..
But my Boss make 15% even off the employees . So I still check the internet..
THANKS FOR YOUR PART CHAR.

·
Registered
11,061 Posts
Only the piston type pump uses that spacer. That part isn't very expensive. It's Cummins part 3924284 and costs in the $10-15 range. The gaskets are part 3931348 and can be found for around $1 each unless you get them from Cummins where they may be 3 times that much.The OEM diaphragm type pump just bolt direct to the block. Of course it uses a different fuel line than the pistons type. 3927637 is not a kit. There is no part number for the piston lift pump kit. That number is just the fuel line going from the lift pump to the head. You need to read that post more carefully. I did not say the 4988751 doesn't last as long. That's the piston pump that I said will last just about forever. It's the 4983584 diaphragm pump that has the shorter life expectancy. In your case the diaphragm may be fine as you use it so little. On the Case part number, you may or may not find that at your local tractor dealer. That's a Case industrial part that was used on backhoes and skid steers that had the 4bt engine. Don't know if it was used on any regular farm tractors.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Ok Still thanks so much.
. I WROTE IT DOWN AGAIN.
DIAPHRAM PUMP ..BOLTS TO BLOCK WITHOUT spacer.. no.4983584.. It will need a new line 3927637.

Piston pump needs spacer no. 3924284...
gaskets ..3931348.. [2].
piston pump no. 4988751..
Piston Pump should last forever..
....Is that correct or do I need to read it again.
I have a big problem with comprehension of what I've read.
THANKS

·
Registered
11,061 Posts
Papitt, you are still confused. 3927637 is the fuel line for the piston lift pump, not the diaphragm lift pump. Yes, it is expensive. To avoid confusion, here is a shopping list for the diaphragm lift pump parts. This is right off Cummins Quick Serve to be sure I have the right numbers. I double checked my typing to be sure I have the numbers correct.

1 3928143 Fuel Transfer Pump (there may be a newer number but this is the one on Cummins)
2 3905649 Fuel Supply Line
3 3931059 Gasket
4 3918191 Sealing Washer (2 required)
5 3903035 Banjo Bolt
6 3900631 Bolt (2 required)

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thanks Char I wrote it all down again . & I'll take it to my counter man at work & I'll give it to him .
.. It was his weekend off & He was gone when I got back tonight .. and I lost what I had written down from last night.
.. Granted he has it some where .. But i don't get it tonight .
thanks

·
Registered
11,061 Posts
Papitt, when I looked up the parts list I used a known engine serial number with CPL767 to be sure there was no confusion. Quite possible if you went to the Cummins parts counter some of the numbers may have changed. Cummins has a habit of that. I looked up the fuel line and found prices ranging around $40-50. They probably made more of that one than the piston style.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
SO Today I got home & planed to play with my Bronco .. But the farm called on me to work for the farm.
SO I didn't get to see if my Bronco would run. It's been raining every day for seems like 2 weeks .
& I've worked on Spot & Flood lights for it , far about the last week.. I put new toggle switch on all my overhead spots . & On my rear back ups. Or rear floods ..Maybe the weather will be with me in a night or 2.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
SO I got out late tonight as I don't have an electric fan hooked up yet.
sO I drove the Bronco for about 40 minutes before it got to 200 on the temp gauge.
It ran perfect again. I'd have like to drive it for another 20 minutes .
... YOU GUYS MAY BE SAYING WHY do you need to test drive it for so long.
Well I need to use it to pull a grain drill in about 2 weeks . A grain drill is a planter that plants seeds in a 12 ft drag area.
& I guess they come up to 40 ft wide .
But this one of mine is 12ft wide . I've had a 16 & a 20 in the past. But this Bronco drags this 12 perfectly.
... & I'll need to drive this the Bronco for maybe 6 hours non stop. Only to add seed & A pee break...
If the seed doesn't get into the soil at the same time . Part of the field will be ready at one time & the next section could be a week later ready..

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
One can always turn on the heater if one has a heater, if the engine gets hot, say, when running without a fan.

Ed in CO

21 - 40 of 50 Posts