Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

81 - 84 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes I've got an 2nd tank that's to carry fuel to tractors in the field . I did even have a 2nd lift pump on it .
before you hook it up.. put the pressure guage on it.. plug the out let and run it up to pressure and see if it holds.. with the pump shut off... if it does then proceed with testing the Injection pump the same way...

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Man I'm beginning to feel like a fool . I got back to my Bronco & tried to start it .. It ran about 3 minutes setting in the shop. & it dies. Me & the tech that comes by to help me with farm vehicles .
.... I had a 2nd tank of fuel .. Well it was about 3 months old for the farm. ANY WAYS THAT TANK HAD 18 Gallons of diesel in it . It must have have 6 inches of water in it.
... SO NOW I'm starting over . I've got a brand new 5 gallon of fuel ... & We hooked up the electric pump to recycle it into the system . The bypass system put the extra into my org tank . Dang near blew the lid off the fuel tank.
. SO I'LL ask how hard is it to get enough of the water out of the system for it to start .
... We drained the filter .. & We hooked up the elec lift pump also to push more fuel forward . opened all 4 injectors .. They push fuel by .. He cracked the lines off the injector pump also . Drained the filter again & it looks like only fuel .
BUT IT JUST SPINS OVER NO START .
...... WHAT WOULD YOU DO NEXT . BESIDE BURN IT .
.... THIS THING HAS NEVER TURNED OVER 5 TIMES & NOT STARTED .
But now i've turned it over for 30 minutes .. Not all at once but over 2 days . & Not for but about 45 sec at a time .
With some cool down time .

·
Registered
35 Posts
there should be a drain on the Injector pump.. it will be necessary to drain the water from it... as fuel is lighter than water.. the water will go to the bottom of the injection pump.. I don't have a manual.. but at the bottom of the pump I see this plate on My VE pump.. I would loosen the screws, but not take the cover off as it may hold a spring loaded valve or other lose-able part.. and see if it will drain the pump... If there is one thing we know about diesels.. it only takes fuel and compression to make them run.. if you have compression.. your problem is fuel.. and i don't know enough about the injection pump.. but all that water is causing a lack of proper compression because water loves oxygen and oxygen compresses so you don't get enough pressure to pop the injectors.. Back in Minnesota when we have this problem.. after draining the pump and the rest of the system.. including blowing our the injection lines.. by taking them off at both ends.. then clean out the top of the injectors.. with air.. then put the lines on.. .. and then bleeding the entire system 1 part at a time.. and it that don't work... sometimes they need a little more RPM.. so in place of ether .. i spray WD40 a small squirt at a time into the intake to get it to fire and run.. which will help prime the system.. but please drain and re-bleed 1st..

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Man I'm beginning to feel like a fool . I got back to my Bronco & tried to start it .. It ran about 3 minutes setting in the shop. & it dies. Me & the tech that comes by to help me with farm vehicles .
.... I had a 2nd tank of fuel .. Well it was about 3 months old for the farm. ANY WAYS THAT TANK HAD 18 Gallons of diesel in it . It must have have 6 inches of water in it.
... SO NOW I'm starting over . I've got a brand new 5 gallon of fuel ... & We hooked up the electric pump to recycle it into the system . The bypass system put the extra into my org tank . Dang near blew the lid off the fuel tank.
. SO I'LL ask how hard is it to get enough of the water out of the system for it to start .
... We drained the filter .. & We hooked up the elec lift pump also to push more fuel forward . opened all 4 injectors .. They push fuel by .. He cracked the lines off the injector pump also . Drained the filter again & it looks like only fuel .
BUT IT JUST SPINS OVER NO START .
...... WHAT WOULD YOU DO NEXT . BESIDE BURN IT .
.... THIS THING HAS NEVER TURNED OVER 5 TIMES & NOT STARTED .
But now i've turned it over for 30 minutes .. Not all at once but over 2 days . & Not for but about 45 sec at a time .
With some cool down time .

If that doesn't work here are some hints from on this web site; Bleeding injector lines

81 - 84 of 84 Posts