Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think i'm going to have trouble fitting the actuator, so are there any negatives to welding it shut?

turbo is an HX35W

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I think i'm going to have trouble fitting the actuator, so are there any negatives to welding it shut?

turbo is an HX35W
I relocated my actuator and re-welded the outer wastegate lever out of the way. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures :(

·
Registered
854 Posts
are there any negatives to welding it shut?
I wouldn't do it on a 6BT since it would become a restriction, but I doubt you would push it too far with a 4BT

·
Registered
292 Posts
The geometry isn't as nice as a non-wastegated exhaust housing.

if you are going to do that id just order a non WG housing and gethe better flow its small but notable

·
Registered
228 Posts
I welded mine and haven't had any trouble. HY35 hits 35 psi now.

·
Isuzu reliability tester
3,001 Posts
does anyone have any good pics of a welded wastegate on a hy35? I just picked one up for my 4bd and would like to see what it looks like.

Thanks

·
Isuzu reliability tester
3,001 Posts
maybe self explanatory to you but not everyone else.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I welded a tab with a hole in it on the exaust housing, and used the rod from the actualtor to pass through it. Now all you have to do is tighten the nut untill it is tight, and the flapper stays shut. This lets you go back if you dont like it....

I hope this makes sence....im loaded on pain pills from dropping a 150lb axle on my big toe....:puke: atleast I did it in front of my friends..;) :happyfinger:

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
That's a good way to do it, not permanent either...

My only thoughts are that 25+ psi being somewhat unnecessary I think, wonder if it compromises mileage...

·
Registered
713 Posts
That's a good way to do it, not permanent either...

My only thoughts are that 25+ psi being somewhat unnecessary I think, wonder if it compromises mileage...
Probably improves mileage...

The AFC can only go so far down. This means more boost won't actually mean more fuel after a certain point. The more air you can cram into the engine, the more power you will have. The fuel will burn more completely as well. EGT's will be down too.

The more boost, the better. My opinion, of course.

·
Super Moderator
8,813 Posts
Probably improves mileage...

The AFC can only go so far down. This means more boost won't actually mean more fuel after a certain point. The more air you can cram into the engine, the more power you will have. The fuel will burn more completely as well. EGT's will be down too.

The more boost, the better. My opinion, of course.
I actually did some figuring a while back and think that at 2000rpm and 20psi boost (no intercooler), I've got an air-fuel ratio of around 28:1.
In those conditions (high intake temps, about 1000m altitude etc) that's on the smoke limit.

I've been reading some interesting comments from Mario on the Mercedes Superturbo forums about injection of fuel and it being essentially cooked before combustion. Worth reading and probably the subject of a new post here.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Worth reading and probably the subject of a new post here.
Link to discussion?

How about copying and pasting a few highlights?

·
Super Moderator
8,813 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts