Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , I’ve been lurking for some time now and finally decided to join the community.
I decided to jump all in and I was looking to see if some of you could help me identify what I just got . It has no engine tags, I was told and believe it is the P pump version. It has the Bosch pump.One of my questions is how is it my turbo is on top of the manifold compared to many I e seen that are under .
Also I’ve seen different oil filters configurations too.
Thanks in advance. Look forward to learning.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Tire Tread
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Vehicle brake Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Green Automotive design Vehicle

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
> "One of my questions is how is it my turbo is on top of the manifold compared to many I e seen that are under . "
The turbo location / manifold design changed over the years, depending on the fitment issues of the truck or equipment the engine was specified to fit in. "Assuming" you have hood clearance, that turbo location should be easy to plumb up an exhaust system. My swap (see signature below) came with the turbo further back, the exhaust wanted to exit through the glove box. It took me a week, and 2 different exhaust manifolds to get a working exhaust system (and I had to modify the passenger foot well a little bit).

Do you know what the 4bt came out of?

Is that an "A-pump" or a "P-pump" they look alike to an untrained eye?

The pictures show a clutch.

What is your bellhousing pattern?

Russ

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The turbo location / manifold design changed over the years, depending on the fitment issues of the truck or equipment the engine was specified to fit in. "Assuming" you have hood clearance, that turbo location should be easy to plumb up an exhaust system. My swap (see signature below) came with the turbo further back, the exhaust wanted to exit through the glove box. It took me a week, and 2 different exhaust manifolds to get a working exhaust system (and I had to modify the passenger foot well a little bit).

Do you know what the 4bt came out of?

Is that an "A-pump" or a "P-pump" they look alike to an untrained eye?

The pictures show a clutch.

What is your bellhousing pattern?

Russ
Russ thanks for the reply , The guy I purchased it from was quite knowledgeable about engines he had an a pump and the p pump. I purchase the p pump version from him .
No record of what it came from .
I got the T 19 close ratio transmission from him pressure plate adapter starter and fly wheel all together out of a F2250

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
That looks familiar...

It was about 10 years ago (most of it is in my build thread in the link below), so the details are a little bit hazy... That is the later small block V-8 bellhousing pattern, start with this link to get up to speed.

In my opinion, an overdrive transmission is a must. I am using the M5R2 transmission (also know as M5OD-R2 - It's a Ford thing...). It was discontinued about the same time the 300 CID straight 6 cylinder engine was discontinued.

The M5R2 is not really up to high power or heavy lowing loads. I bought a $500 used transmission (unknown miles), and have put 72K+ miles on it, First gear synchro complains (it has not got much worse over the last 9 years). Did a few 1/4 mile runs at the Zip-Tie Drags (19+ seconds), and towed a 1962 Volvo PV544 (on a Uhaul auto trailer) home from CA. This transmission is still ready for another cross-country trip.

HOWEVER, the hydraulic clutch throwout cylinder (concentric to the input shaft) is a NUCLEAR WEDGIE... They seem to develop a leak every 2 to 3 years (factory and replacement units are molded plastic) - out comes the transmission (I was 75 years old for the last one - kicked my ass), bolt in a replacement and reinstall the transmission (re-bleed the hydraulics <sigh>). This last round, I bought aluminum master and slave cylinders - have not put a lot of miles on since.

I believe that there is a heavier duty transmission that has this bellhousing pattern - don't know if it has an internal ir external hydraulic clutch slave cylinder. I've not done the research.

Russ

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi , I’ve been lurking for some time now and finally decided to join the community.
I decided to jump all in and I was looking to see if some of you could help me identify what I just got . It has no engine tags, I was told and believe it is the P pump version. It has the Bosch pump.One of my questions is how is it my turbo is on top of the manifold compared to many I e seen that are under .
Also I’ve seen different oil filters configurations too.
Thanks in advance. Look forward to learning. View attachment 131480 View attachment 131481 View attachment 131482
Interesting thing with ford and cummins. In south america the ford f-250 came with a 3.9 liter cummins turbo diesel from the factory. I see many of these in Brasil. stage 2 chip, 4 inch exhaust they produce 360 horsepower and 500 FP torque. As Ford used the 3.9 cummins engine between 2000 and 2018 these drop in engine kits are dime a dozen in brasil. Rather than struggling to try and piece together a strong reliable 3.9 Cummins better to just import a half cut F250 from Brasil. Drop it in and roll.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Interesting thing with ford and cummins. In south america the ford f-250 came with a 3.9 liter cummins turbo diesel from the factory. I see many of these in Brasil. stage 2 chip, 4 inch exhaust they produce 360 horsepower and 500 FP torque. As Ford used the 3.9 cummins engine between 2000 and 2018 these drop in engine kits are dime a dozen in brasil. Rather than struggling to try and piece together a strong reliable 3.9 Cummins better to just import a half cut F250 from Brasil. Drop it in and roll.
Video showing 3.9 cummins in a ford f-250

·
Registered
282 Posts
Papa here . What do you mean ? Import a (half cut F250 ) & how much is a “dime a dozen” & what would be the problems with importing & what kind of fuel mileage do they get ? How difficult to put into a Toyota LC? How do they compare to the 7.3

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Does anyone have a line to a wired Brazilian ECM for the ISB170?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Papa here . What do you mean ? Import a (half cut F250 ) & how much is a “dime a dozen” & what would be the problems with importing & what kind of fuel mileage do they get ? How difficult to put into a Toyota LC? How do they compare to the 7.3
Good evening. a half cut is the truck torched just behind the front door pillars. You get the entire front of the truck with hood closed complete engine assy with all wiring, transfer case, transmission. The half cut is shrink wrapped and shipped to USA. the auctions and salvage yards have plenty of these trucks. The F-350 and F450 also use the same 3.9 Cummins with a different tune and turbo to make more torque for the work trucks. Compared to the 7.3 liter powerstroke these 3.9 engines tuned stage 2 make just about the same HP and torque while averaging around 20mpg. The 7.3 gets 10 mpg on a good day. If you are serious I can contact some yards here and get some prices. You will need to look into freight and customs.

·
Registered
12,300 Posts
That engine appears to be one that someone has mixed parts to put it together. The injection pump does appear to be a P model but can't tell if it's a P3000 or P7100. There should be an ID plate on the side of the pump. Below is a photo of an ID plate for a P7100. That power steering, vacuum pump combo on that engine only came on the very early Dodge Cummins and was not used after 1991. There was a problem issue with the bearing in that unit and it is a problem just waiting to happen. Later models used a Wabco pump and were not a problem. That turbo would not have been found on a P pump road engine. They all came with a Holset HX30W. mounted in a rear down position. See photo below. Not sure what that turbo is.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That engine appears to be one that someone has mixed parts to put it together. The injection pump does appear to be a P model but can't tell if it's a P3000 or P7100. There should be an ID plate on the side of the pump. Below is a photo of an ID plate for a P7100. That power steering, vacuum pump combo on that engine only came on the very early Dodge Cummins and was not used after 1991. There was a problem issue with the bearing in that unit and it is a problem just waiting to happen. Later models used a Wabco pump and were not a problem. That turbo would not have been found on a P pump road engine. They all came with a Holset HX30W. mounted in a rear down position. See photo below. Not sure what that turbo is.
Thanks for the reply. Here is the turbo Holset H1C and the is plate from the pump. Thanks for the heads up on the power steering pumps bearing.
Font Circle Gas Metal Pattern
Font Circle Gas Metal Pattern

Attachments

·
Registered
12,300 Posts
Does anyone have a line to a wired Brazilian ECM for the ISB170?
If you have an engine serial # I can probably tell you the ECM part. Don't know that there would be any difference in a USA and Brazil ISB170. Be aware that part and its wiring harnesses are very expensive. If you buy a used one and find it is not functional it costs around $1000 to repair. I looked up one on a USA engine serial # 21487214. The ECM unit only is part 4988112 serviced as part 4025103. There are a whole myriad of sensors mounted on the engine that feed the ECM through one of the wiring harnesses which is part 4897616, A second harness feeds from the ECM to vehicle instrument, ignition switch, and accelerator pedal. That harness doesn't show in the Cummins part list because it is custom to the vehicle.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Good evening. a half cut is the truck torched just behind the front door pillars. You get the entire front of the truck with hood closed complete engine assy with all wiring, transfer case, transmission. The half cut is shrink wrapped and shipped to USA. the auctions and salvage yards have plenty of these trucks. The F-350 and F450 also use the same 3.9 Cummins with a different tune and turbo to make more torque for the work trucks. Compared to the 7.3 liter powerstroke these 3.9 engines tuned stage 2 make just about the same HP and torque while averaging around 20mpg. The 7.3 gets 10 mpg on a good day. If you are serious I can contact some yards here and get some prices. You will need to look into freight and customs.
Thanks for the reply. Sorry I did not get back here sooner , trying to maintain flood run off ditches , so I don’t flooded ! I asked for a variety of reasons . #1 I have a friend in Gilroy Ca., who builds Toyota LCs & he is/ or was last I talked to him interested i putting in diesels in them .
#2 I know another, friend here in Costa Rica (who is currently in the US) that has a friend that wants to start importing car/pickup parts . #3 another friend here has a big truck repair shop , & they have 3 pickups they can’t seem to find a good motor for. He is currently in the US buying big rigs to import , this is his 3rd trip I know of , when he gets back I will talk to him about this . #4 I have a Case backhoe 1989 that blew a water hose & overheated, had to bore & sleeve , total rebuild , the machine shop did not do me right , & if something else now goes bad I might just want to change it out ! You can find my thread story on this site, 390 rebuild .

·
Registered
282 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Sorry I did not get back here sooner , trying to maintain flood run off ditches , so I don’t get flooded ! I asked for a variety of reasons . #1 I have a friend in Gilroy Ca., who builds Toyota LCs & he is/ or was last I talked to him interested i putting in diesels in them .
#2 I know another, friend here in Costa Rica (who is currently in the US) that has a friend that wants to start importing car/pickup parts . #3 another friend here has a big truck repair shop , & they have 3 pickups they can’t seem to find a good motor for. He is currently in the US buying big rigs to import , this is his 3rd trip I know of , when he gets back I will talk to him about this . #4 I have a Case backhoe 1989 that blew a water hose & overheated, had to bore & sleeve , total rebuild , the machine shop did not do me right , & if something else now goes bad I might just want to change it out ! You can find my thread story on this site, 4bt 390 rebuild .

·
Registered
12,300 Posts
The photo of the ID tag on the injection pump tells you that is a P3000. The model number ending in 3379 tells you that. The first digit being a 3 tells you it's a P3000 where that number beginning with a 7 would be a P7100. That injection pump was only used on industrial engines but it has a road type governor so that's not a problem. It is not the fire breathing dragon that the P7100 is but it is a good pump. The same mods like governor springs or torque plate can be used on it like the P7100. It just doesn't have quite the power potential of a P7100 but is adequate for most. The H1C turbo was OK for a base 105 HP engine but has little use for better performance. You need to install an HX30W turbo which will be light years better. If you get the one with the 44mm inducer it will use the same oil line and exhaust hook up as the H1C. If you go with the Super HX30W 46mm it will require a different oil line. Either will be about 1.5" long that that H1C which shouldn't be an issue with that style exhaust manifold. Hard to tell but you oil drain on the turbo doesn't look to be exactly vertical. It should be to provide maximum drainage. Your drain pipe is a typical older type where it was replace with a 1 piece flexible type in more recent applications. See diagram below. Keep in mind that you will need to use an intercooler with that engine. 4bts above 105HP had either an aftercooler or intercooler.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The photo of the ID tag on the injection pump tells you that is a P3000. The model number ending in 3379 tells you that. The first digit being a 3 tells you it's a P3000 where that number beginning with a 7 would be a P7100. That injection pump was only used on industrial engines but it has a road type governor so that's not a problem. It is not the fire breathing dragon that the P7100 is but it is a good pump. The same mods like governor springs or torque plate can be used on it like the P7100. It just doesn't have quite the power potential of a P7100 but is adequate for most. The H1C turbo was OK for a base 105 HP engine but has little use for better performance. You need to install an HX30W turbo which will be light years better. If you get the one with the 44mm inducer it will use the same oil line and exhaust hook up as the H1C. If you go with the Super HX30W 46mm it will require a different oil line. Either will be about 1.5" long that that H1C which shouldn't be an issue with that style exhaust manifold. Hard to tell but you oil drain on the turbo doesn't look to be exactly vertical. It should be to provide maximum drainage. Your drain pipe is a typical older type where it was replace with a 1 piece flexible type in more recent applications. See diagram below. Keep in mind that you will need to use an intercooler with that engine. 4bts above 105HP had either an aftercooler or intercooler.
Thanks for the reply!
I just ordered a HX Super 30, with new oil in and out lines.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design
Here is the plan for the intercooler

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My goals as far as HP is to be in the lower to mid 200 range . I have the fuel plate and spring kit . If I pass 250 I’ll be thrilled!

·
Registered
12,300 Posts
You won't pass 250 HP with a single turbo. Install a 3000 RPM governor kit, a #10 torque plate, and adjust the pump timing to around 16 deg. Much higher than that and you chance blowing the head gaskets without other mods. If you're pushing more toward the 250 HP mark you'll need larger injectors. Stock units will run out of fuel a bit before that. If you change injectors you have to be careful with the P3000. Not totally sure, but I believe that unit may use injectors with lower pop pressure like the A or VE injection pumps. They pop at 245 bar where the P7100 is 260 bar. We don't have as much info on those P3000 pumps because they are probably rarer than the P7100.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts