Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
That's not a problem. It's just a matter of choice whether you go manual or solenoid. One thing you need to know when you wire in the solenoid. That device pulls a lot of current when activated. Once engaged it doesn't draw that much but on start up it does. Wiring will require the use of a HD solenoid switch to send power to that unit. Don't try wiring it direct to some ignition switch wire. That will not work. You could look at a wiring diagram for a '94-98 Dodge Cummins and see how the wiring is routed. It doesn't have to be very complicated, just strong enough to carry adequate power.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
That's not a problem. It's just a matter of choice whether you go manual or solenoid. One thing you need to know when you wire in the solenoid. That device pulls a lot of current when activated. Once engaged it doesn't draw that much but on start up it does. Wiring will require the use of a HD solenoid switch to send power to that unit. Don't try wiring it direct to some ignition switch wire. That will not work. You could look at a wiring diagram for a '94-98 Dodge Cummins and see how the wiring is routed. It doesn't have to be very complicated, just strong enough to carry adequate power.
Thank you again, I did do my research and wired it to a high voltage relay. I did see how it draws different amps for starting and then a lot lower for continual running

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I thankfully successfully got the engine started over the weekend. I can’t seem to post a video on here but it all went pretty well except for one mistake I made. We didn’t wire in a diode and it allow the alternator to backfeed my control switch panel. I figured out by mistake and fixed it already.

61 - 63 of 63 Posts