Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
12,527 Posts
That's not a problem. It's just a matter of choice whether you go manual or solenoid. One thing you need to know when you wire in the solenoid. That device pulls a lot of current when activated. Once engaged it doesn't draw that much but on start up it does. Wiring will require the use of a HD solenoid switch to send power to that unit. Don't try wiring it direct to some ignition switch wire. That will not work. You could look at a wiring diagram for a '94-98 Dodge Cummins and see how the wiring is routed. It doesn't have to be very complicated, just strong enough to carry adequate power.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
That's not a problem. It's just a matter of choice whether you go manual or solenoid. One thing you need to know when you wire in the solenoid. That device pulls a lot of current when activated. Once engaged it doesn't draw that much but on start up it does. Wiring will require the use of a HD solenoid switch to send power to that unit. Don't try wiring it direct to some ignition switch wire. That will not work. You could look at a wiring diagram for a '94-98 Dodge Cummins and see how the wiring is routed. It doesn't have to be very complicated, just strong enough to carry adequate power.
Thank you again, I did do my research and wired it to a high voltage relay. I did see how it draws different amps for starting and then a lot lower for continual running

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I thankfully successfully got the engine started over the weekend. I can’t seem to post a video on here but it all went pretty well except for one mistake I made. We didn’t wire in a diode and it allow the alternator to backfeed my control switch panel. I figured out by mistake and fixed it already.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I just wanted to report back in as I appreciate all the helpful information and people here.
I replaced the power steering pump as @char1355 suggested. Still have a bit of work to go before it’s on the road but getting closer . And Char, I owe you one for your time. Is there a PM on this site? If so hit me up I’d like to send you something.
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread

·
Registered
12,527 Posts
No problem. I enjoy helping. Sort of surprised that power steering pump cleared your P pump. P pumps never came with that style reservoir on the 4bt. Theirs looked like the one in the photo below and had a remote reservoir. I believe the one you have is one of the new reproduction brackets and they may have changed the pump angle just slightly so it would clear. That had always been an issue with P pumps. Cummins never reengineered the bracket when the P pump models came out.

Attachments

61 - 66 of 66 Posts