Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! I just picked up a 1982 300sd for the om617, going into my Jeep J20 this winter. It doesn't start super well and I have yet to do an overall health check, my plan is to keep it in the car for now and drive it as a test bed for the engine. I want to strip it down to nearly how its going to sit in the truck(removing things like egr, emissions controls, etc).

Can anyone think of things I can start removing that aren't essential to the healthy operation of the engine? Thanks!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'd start by getting it to start super well, then as you take things off, if it starts being troublesome, you know you've gone wrong.

On these, usually as long as the glow plugs are good, the battery is good, and the fuel lines are good, they'll start like a champ. Fuel hoses are where I'd look first, if they are brittle, they are probably letting in air. Then just ohm out the glow plugs separately.

What emissions controls do you have on yours? Mine is older and is pretty plain jane.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does start hard, after replacing the glow plugs it still starts hard. I did a cap dance test and there's quite a bit of blow by, which I'm asuming is most of the problem it's having. So ill prolly need a rebuild. Which isnt really a big deal, i wanted a reliable rig when I'm done so, i guess I'll plan on that. Of course i could do a compression test but i don't think my prognosis would change. Is there an egr on this engine? Any benefit with a delete?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts