Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
long story short, Last year we inherited my wife's Grandpas Deutz 4006, which had been sitting idle in a barn for 20+ years.
I'm fairly mechanical, and understand diesel prinicples, but have some questions about the Bosch injector system and how to prime it correctly.

First things first, the engine turns free, It has a new fuel filter, new fuel, the lift pump works with the primer, and I put new 15w40 in the injector pump.
We started cranking, with the all lines cracked at the pump. It appears 1 and 2 were building pressure and starting to spit, but 3 did not.
Someone seems to remember "disabling" the tractor, but not sure what.

I want to get this thing running soon, and I am wondering if the pump is screwed. Any and ALL help is appreciated.

I am new to diesels and am not sure about the injector assembly

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So. I figured out the injector problem, it appears someone tightened them all down, and not one could pump. I know have fuel to the top of each cylinder, and into what looks like an atomizer?
My return fuel line to the tank is soaking wet, which tells me no fuel is going into the cylinder. I can run it on ether but cannot get it to run on diesel. The fuel is combustible. Is it possible the injectors are plugged from sitting? could they be plugged? Is it going to take a special tool to remove them?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Are you getting fuel past the injection pump? I'd crack the injection line nuts on the actual injector, prime the engine and crank it until fuel reaches each injector in a uniform manner. Once all of the air has been purged, tighten each fuel line nut down, and then you should be ready to start it. I do not see diesel stains around the injectors which is why I ask. I was able to get a 5FL912 running without much trouble after a fifteen-twenty year sleep with nothing more than a battery, battery charger, metric tube nut wrench and about fifty strokes of the plunger on the injection pump.

Chris

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
Normally you loosen the injector line nuts at the injectors and crank it intermittently until you have fuel running down the side of the cylinder head. Bubbles or drips isn't having fuel at the injectors.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
You shouldnt have to. When you are cranking the engine over do you get a lot of white smoke out of the exhaust?

If not, are you sure the "fuel shutoff control lever" on the back of the injection pump is in the "run" position?
If it is getting fuel and the engine will not fire, either the cranking speed is too slow, there is still air in the fuel system, the injectors are clogged or stuck, or the timing of the engine is off.

Chris

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
It smells like bad fuel, looks like motor oil.
Eta: that tube is coming from the back side of the injector pump.
The reason is it looks like motor oil, ia because it's the 15w40 in the pump.

I'm at a loss now.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
The ether you are spraying into the air intake is completely independent of the fuel supply which is fed into the combustion chamber by the fuel injector. I wouldnt use too much ether on your engine. My friend Bob who was Deutz dealer told me before he passed away that too much ether will stretch the cylinder retention bolts and the head/cylinder will literally dance on the crankcase. Im still thinking its a fuel delivery issue. When you are cranking the engine, is it turning over at a good speed? Do you have the throttle set to near full while cranking? Are you getting a lot of white smoke out of the exhaust? No white smoke = no fuel

Chris

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for that info.
I'm getting no smoke, none.

My guess is the injectors are plugged from sitting?

I tried to remove them but it looks like it takes a specialty tool.

Cranking speed is good. I'm using a type 65 battery, with a booster behind it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts