Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a 1955 Willys Wagon, it is on an 84 suburban frame, Turbo 400 tranny and a 205 transfer case with one ton axles (D60 and 14FF ) and soon to be 42" tires.

I was planning on installing a Chevy 6.2 but now Im leaning on the 4BT.

I will use this rig on the rocks, desert running, in n the dunes and on the street in Az.

Questions

1) Does the 4BT have electronics, computers or is it just plug and play ?

2) What is the general size of the radiator ? H,W,D.

3) Are there any other swaps that might work better ?

4) Why would this swap be the best, I can get a 6.2 that will bolt right up to the T400 for $600.00 but they tend to run hot at higher speeds and I really like the little 4BT.

5) Where would be the best place to find a 4BT in Az. or so. Cal ?

·
Registered
854 Posts
1) Does the 4BT have electronics, computers or is it just plug and play ?
2) What is the general size of the radiator ? H,W,D.
3) Are there any other swaps that might work better ?
4) Why would this swap be the best, I can get a 6.2 that will bolt right up to the T400 ?
1) My engine has 4 wires: fuel solenoid, starter solenoid, water temp, oil temp. If you use mechanical gauges you are down to two wires. You will also have two battery cables, a fuel supply and return, and a throttle cable. That's about it.
2) You might be fine with the stock radiator and and electric fan.
3) Possibly the Isuzu NPR 3.9 will be equal. t is tough to beat the little 4BT
4) The 6.2 is a DOG. The 4Bt has WAY more torque and power.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,667 Posts
Welcome, from another Willys swapper.

Don't know of any places in AZ for 4B's, believe me I looked and ended up going to Avant salvage in GA for mine. This was before Dove bid.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
LincTex, Thanks that is great, the last thing I want is a computer to go out on me.
What size is the stock radiator ?
The 4BI sounds better all the time.

COLOJEEPGUY2K, Thanks this is by far a great site, it has a lot of great tech and info.

JimmieD, I have seen that Wagon on another site but had no idea that it has a 4BT.

scout4bta, Thanks, speaking of such willys how is yours coming along ? would love to see some more pics, I have a friend that trucks all over the states that can pick one up for me if I need to.

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
scout4bta, how well does your scout wheel with the 4BT ?
It wheels great, but the front D44 is to weak to do any thing serious. Almost everyother time I take it out I'm replace a u-joint or worse. So its a street queen untill I get the D60/D70 installed.
I let it idle over obstacles, at most bring it up to 1K and darn if I dont have to replace a "C" clip at least. I've 33" tires and 3.73 gears at 55:1 (2nd low) and it breaks the the D44 with ease. Rocks you know.

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
D Rat,
Here's another link to the Willys pics. The Willys is actually my wife's, I'am ever so slowly building it for her with her help. Good idea of using a stronger frame, the orginals leave a lot to be desired. We used a 1980 J20, 3/4 ton pickup frame for ours.
http://community.webshots.com/user/p14175

·
Registered
854 Posts
Then once it is in a more "assembled" fashion, you can use whatever fits OK

1 - 12 of 12 Posts