Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, after much reading over the past several days I want to go ahead and scope out a project that may or may not ever see the pavement (or the mud...). I'm real interested in a 4BT but after reading the 3.3 into a Jeep swap I'd like to track down one of those if I could. I'm big on Ford Rangers having recently purchased a 03 (I would love to see a diesel in this) but I do not want to put my current DD under any knives for extended times as I need it for driving. That being said my 2nd favorite Ranger generation, the 2nd gens from the late 80's early 90's could be had very cheap, or I could possibly pickup a 3rd or 4th gen and swap the front end with a fascia like my 5th gen. All that stuff aside I was wondering where would I track down a 3.3? So far I've only seen that you can order one from Cummins, which wouldn't be all to terrible since you know it's new, but is there anywhere else I could look? Assuming I find one would a Ford 8.8" or 9" and a Dana 44 upfront be able to hold the torque if built well? I would most deffinately take the time to so a SAS upfront to help support the weight if goign with a diesel. Lastly, If I can't find a 3.3 is there any chance in the world the previous axles could hold the 4BT if built correctly? I could always go 3/4 or 1 ton but I'd have to plan accordingly as with anypart of this project. Thanks for reading this ramble, any thoughts or questions are welcomed!

-TJ

EDIT:

After more "research" I've decided it would probably be cheaper and easier in the long run to just use a 4BT and 1 ton axles and run wheels with good backspacing and fender flares to keep it legal... If it worked out good I'd have a DD/Weekend Off-Roader with a lift, 35's, and hopefully 25MPG. I'd also be running straight bio-diesel if possible seeing as I could get old deep fryer oil from a number of sources. Thoughts or ideas?

This thread has steered me in this direction:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428552

·
Registered
329 Posts
If you like rangers, check out mooktanks rig. His setup is pretty close to what you are describing. Thats the cool thing about this board. Someone has the info you need and is very happy to help you along! Dont be afraid to PM is the best advice I got...... people love to talk about their vehicles. Im no exception.

Very cool community here.

Ranger is definately doable. It can be tight squeezing components in but its been done before.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the link I posted is Mooktank's. I seriously thought about planning to do it for my 03 but if issues came up I'd be out of a ride... Plus insurance for 88-92 should be a hell of a lot cheaper and you can't argue with this look!

*Note this is not my truck

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts