Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
Is it really "new" still?

Most people have different opinions on this.

I'm not for sure, but I feel like I get fewer MPG when we switched to Low Sulfur.

Was reading through one of my Detroit manuals the other night, and think it said that the lower the sulfur the better for Detroit's, I'll have to go check again...

I am not concerned about the lubricity, because for now I believe them when they say there is a substitute already added in to account for that.

Grigg

·
Registered
4 Posts
The new low sulfur diesel has the bare minimum additives for lubricity. So for older diesel engines it does affect how they operate and the wear they receive. For those who car about your engines it is recommend to either run B20 or use an additive to provide extra lube for your engine---closer to what the dirty diesel we used to run.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I thought that the lub property only effect injector pump that is cool and lubricated by fuel like my vp44. Am I wrong? Does it effect the motor itself?

Eugene

·
Registered
329 Posts
MY MPG drops when I have to fuel with it. Feels less responsive as well.

·
Registered
854 Posts
The lube is for the pump and injectors. Walmart 2-cycle oil at 1 oz per gallon (128:1) works great as a lube additive

·
Registered
258 Posts
ULSF doesn't have nearly the lubricity necessary for an older diesel. There are several additives you can use to restore lubricity, as mentioned above, depending on where you live. Where I am, there is very little diesel info, let alone additives, except for a couple of the very common things like Diesel 911 and a couple of the same brand's other products. The easiest thing to do is add a little motor oil when you fill up. I have never seen anyplace that sells fuel that doesn't also have motor oil, so its readily available. I would say 1 cup per tankful is enough, but I just put in 1 quart for a fuel tank of fuel.

For my '96 Ram with a 5.9, I can actually HEAR the change now that ULSF is here (it just got here in October). The engine is just noisier, the same as it sounds when we get winter blend fuel. And no, its not because of winter blend...I noticed it during the summer when I was out of town and had to get a tank of ULSD.

Jim

·
Registered
225 Posts
Had a 4mpg decrease that coincided with ulsd.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I'll be darned! I thought it was me, with my truck now seeming so much noisier!

Beginning to wonder from this thread if my recent vibration & roughness isn't fuel related? Just had an injector clog a couple of weeks ago too. I use additives but may increase the dose. I also noticed a difference in power, but a good shot of Power Service seems to have fixed that, maybe....

Thanks for posting!

JimmieD

·
Registered
1 Posts
My son in his 98 Dodge 12v Cummins says his fuel mileage is less by at least 2 - 4 MPG.:( He can not find the older LSD even at truck stops. I'll ask him what other people have to say about it too. He is the parts manager at a Dodge dealer.

That makes him get about the same fuel mileage as my gas engine 95 Chevy 2500, but my fuel costs less.

This is sort of like when gasoline went from leaded to unleaded. Lead was the lubricity of gasoline

Richard

1 - 10 of 10 Posts