Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have been a jeep owner for 12 years. I recently decided to buy a 4bt on ebay for my CJ7. I decided that a 5 speed NV4500 would work best b/c it would bolt up just like it does to the 6bt. My question involves clutch parts. I have the pedal assy, the clutch changeover kit, the proper adapter plate, the bellhousing and the trans. Will a 6bt flywheel work on a 4bt? Those who say no claim that although the bolt holes line up, there will be a balancing issue and eventual engine damage. Others say yes, they are the same. Any ideas? Will a master cylinder assy from a full size Dodge work? I dont see why not; everything else will be Dodge anyway.
I also thought about swapping my Dana 300 for the transfer case that fits the NV4500. If not, I will have to get an adapter from AA. Not cheap either way. If anyone has answers, please write me. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
The 6b fywheel will work on a 4b ,if you going to run a Nv4500 from a dodge then you'll need the engine adapter,flywheel ,starter,bell housing and Nv4500 from 94-01 .The dodge slave will work as the 6b clutch .The clutch master will dpend on your pedal,mounting and make sure you have enough bore on the master to push the size of clutch you buy. So don't buy a master that was used on a 10'' clutch and you buy a 12'' or 13'' clutch .

Dodge Nv4500 came with 2 different outputs spline counts 23 ,29 .

Gm have the 32 spline output .

The Dana 300 will bolt up the the Nv4500 , just need to make sure what spline you have on the Nv4500 and the input can be changed on the Dana 300.Scott

·
Registered
915 Posts
your 4bt will not bolt to your nv4500 dodge trans unless you put a dodge adaptor on it. did you buy a chevy or ford adaptor with the engine
He already said he had this.

You can also us a GM NV4500 with GM adapter. If you are buying parts I would go dodge, but it is possible.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

Thank you for the help. I am just going to get the flywheel for the 6bt. NAPA sells the whole kit (info from nhdiesel) so I went there with the part number and the counter guy calls tech support and they say that it wont work. I called the local Cummins dealer and he tells me that flywheels alone cost $900.00! Can you see how easy it is to get confused. NAPA wants $480.00 for everything. Is this the best way? Thanks. By the way, I have all of the proper Dodge parts, exc for the master/slave assy, starter and the flywheel/clutch.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Dana 300 + dodge gasser NV4500 = 4x4

Dana 300 has 23 splines and a round bolt pattern
Dodge NV4500 gasser has 23 splines and a round bolt pattern.
Last I heard they bolted right up.

Hmmmmmmmm

I had that combo lying on my shop floor - but i sold the trans.

BAM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts