Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this thing followed me home a couple weeks back and my wife says I can keep it as long as I feed it and clean up after it. It is a '47 Dodge WFX-31...I have no idea what the WFX stands for and I can't seem to find any info on it. It is really solid, and the stock flathead 6 actually starts. It is a retired light/generator truck from Collingswood, NJ emergency, with what is believed to be original 10,000 miles and change on the odometer.

My intention is to install a p-pumped 4BT and some form of OD automatic, some form of dump bed, and leave the rest of the truck mostly stock. Gotta sell some stuff and get the funds for an engine, the 5.9 that I have just won't fit without major hacking. Should be a fun project.

As I found it....

Got it home and gave it a bath

·
Registered
78 Posts
All these pictures aren't helping my sickness. I better not let my wife catch me!! You still got your M-715, that was a sweet ride.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 715 isn't going anywhere....I will be buried in that truck. My wife might make that happen before I die.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
you'd better hurry up and shoot that dodge with some clear coat before you lose the "patina" or some metal. don't forget to get a Dodge/cummins emblem for her!!!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The truck will eventually get some paint. I do love survivors. It will kill me to paint this truck.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I'd say get on of those oval shaped water troughs for cattle and use that for a bed (square up the end by the cab and have the rear open barn door style). You may have to split it and widen it for the frame width. you could get a 55 Gal drum and cut some fenders out for it. Talk about a bitchin retro rat rod dually!!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hate rat rods. If I drive this truck to a show, someone will surely call it a 'rat rod' and I will get offended. It is a rough around the edges, perfectly weathered survivor.... not something that some made ugly on purpose. People call my '37 Ford truck a 'rat rod' and it makes me so upset that I want to restore it. It isn't a rat rod, it's an old truck that I dragged out of a barn and started driving it every day...

Anyway, I just sourced a 4l80 trans for it. I will hopefully pick that up next week. I just need to sell some of my other parts for engine funds. I got spoiled with my M715 build...that engine was free. I am now realizing how much the 4BT's are going for. Gotta get some $cabbage$ together.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I hate rat rods. If I drive this truck to a show, someone will surely call it a 'rat rod' and I will get offended. It is a rough around the edges, perfectly weathered survivor.... not something that some made ugly on purpose. People call my '37 Ford truck a 'rat rod' and it makes me so upset that I want to restore it. It isn't a rat rod, it's an old truck that I dragged out of a barn and started driving it every day...
your '37 ford seems to not be a rat as it was not intended to be, but i don't believe call a survival-look modified old vehicle "rat rod" is an insult...

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Get over the rat rod thing, nobody means it as an insult. Shoot it with flat clear coat and drive the heck out of it that is a beautiful truck you got there. It would be an insult to the truck putting an auto in it. The more I think about it, I believe a 352 detroit would be a better choice engine than a 4bt.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
It would be an insult to the truck putting an auto in it. The more I think about it, I believe a 352 detroit would be a better choice engine than a 4bt.
a detroit would really be cool, but i believe an automatic transmission is not bad...

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Everything I own is a manual. My wife has expressed an interest in driving this truck, and she just can't figure out the whole third pedal thing. Maybe I'll install a manual valve body....

·
Registered
16 Posts
dont paint it ! dont clear just keep it out of weather when you are not using it and it will out live us all the truck I did I sandblasted all parts on back side and paint it still looks origonal but will extend life as far as clear it still looks altered I love your truck

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Everything I own is a manual. My wife has expressed an interest in driving this truck, and she just can't figure out the whole third pedal thing. Maybe I'll install a manual valve body....
manual valve body??? so are you intending to retain the hydraulic system but make the transmission operate as a manual one??? btw i have seen some kits to turn the 4l80e into something like a "tiptronic"...

1 - 20 of 193 Posts