Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

181 - 193 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Mike will you make that cross member removable or just build another that has a lot lower droop with brackets that extend below the stock frame to keep torsional rigidity in them?

Do you suppose you could just run a 4BT crank pulley? The 6BTs are inherently smoother running, it makes me curious if they really have harmonics that are of any consequence? It sure wouldn't have the shock load of the 4 cyl. They do just fine with a flex plate on the other end (no flywheel mass with an auto) and I've never noticed any difference between the two from a vibration stand point. My dad had an '01 5 speed and I had an '01.5 auto and they felt exactly the same in neutral-I played around one time while visiting just to satisfy my curiosity.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
Mike will you make that cross member removable or just build another that has a lot lower droop with brackets that extend below the stock frame to keep torsional rigidity in them?

Do you suppose you could just run a 4BT crank pulley? The 6BTs are inherently smoother running, it makes me curious if they really have harmonics that are of any consequence? It sure wouldn't have the shock load of the 4 cyl. They do just fine with a flex plate on the other end (no flywheel mass with an auto) and I've never noticed any difference between the two from a vibration stand point. My dad had an '01 5 speed and I had an '01.5 auto and they felt exactly the same in neutral-I played around one time while visiting just to satisfy my curiosity.
I plan to install a crossmember in front of the existing crossmember, straight across. There really isn't room for anything else, and I don't see a need for more. The frame on this truck is plenty stout since boxing it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
Just ordered some goodies. Chrome tilt Ididit steering column, stainless injection lines, Howard's Multi-disc converter, engine plumbing parts, etc. Time to get moving on this!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
Well, after many months of pondering the direction of this truck I decided to go a different route. I really want something even heavier than this truck has to offer. It will most likely become a gas powered pick-up again. There is just no good way to make this truck handle the abuse that I plan to dish out. Also, it will end up looking too nice for me to use as a work rig. With that being said, this thread can be closed.

The engine/trans will get installed in a '57 REO F-22

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
The project has been aborted. The '47 Dodge will become more of a street rod pickup with a gas engine. The Cummins/Allison will be installed into my '57 REO F-20

·
Administrator
4,157 Posts
Thread moved to the "Show Off Other Car, Truck and Fab Projects" since the plans are now for a street rod pick up with a gasoline engine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That high mount AC bracket from the ford engine may help in frame clearance. If you don't use it, throw it up on ebay for a quick $300 towards other parts! Truck looks great man!

181 - 193 of 193 Posts