Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1987 Toyota HJ60 wagon that had already been imported into the United States. I had a full frame off done and the engine swapped out for a 1995 Toyota 1HZ 4.2 liter inline six. Here are some pics.

·
Super Moderator
8,788 Posts
Nice.
Have you checked the crank bearings on your motor?
A lot of 80 series cruisers in this part of the world (NZ/Australia) had issues with them. Might be worth looking into.
Apparently a swap to good ones is all the insurance you need.

Is yours 12valve or 24v?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Dougal, that's a 1HZ, and not a HDT. I swapped out the end bearings anyway. 12 valver.

She gets around 24mpg. She's fast enough for me. Ive got an Opposite Locke 50 gallon fuel tank in her.
She'll go well over a thousand miles non stop.

·
Super Moderator
8,788 Posts
Dougal, that's a 1HZ, and not a HDT. I swapped out the end bearings anyway. 12 valver.
Good to see you're on the ball.
My father has a 100 series with the turbo 24v. Truely an impressive engine, but the truck is a marshmallow. A manual 60 series would be far more use.

·
Registered
424 Posts
h55f?

So how do you think the h55f compares to the nv4500 and how do you like the gear spread for the diesel? considering the toy 5 speed behind the 4bt.

·
Registered
454 Posts
is it a tight fit in the engine bay ? i spend half my life working on HZJ 75/78/100 cruisers. i haven't seen anyone put a 1HZ into a 60 before. there is also an engine called a 12H-T which drops in place of the old 2H diesel. the gearbox ratios seem to suit this engine. top gear is only 0.838 to 1. for some reason toyota didn't use all the available spline on the transfer input. they do tend to strip the splines there a bit. otherwise,they stand up to it all pretty easy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
fwiw, the 1HZ fits very well in the 60-series chassis. we've done a few of these conversions and have two at the shop right now, with another 2 coming in. we're also doing a couple of them into the 80-series rigs. mostly with turbos on them.

georg

·
Registered
288 Posts
Very nice, never seen a 1hz put in a 60 series before. How come you didn't put It In a us fj60? Was it hard getting the motor over your way? I guess you have the glow system and diesel diffs. Have a real sort spofor 60 series - if my wife didn't want air bags we'd have one as a family car

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
Wedgetail, same handle on HCVC?
Cheers Steve

1 - 14 of 14 Posts