Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a zf 5 speed today 4x4 s-42 just rebuilt for 450 CHEAP well i think i am going to install it and see how i like the gearing and if i dont i will put diesel gears in. Let me know what you think. What goes on the side in that inlet electric speedo rpm ?????

·
Registered
500 Posts
What goes on the side in that inlet electric speedo rpm ?????
[/IMG]
It's probably a VSS - vehicle speed sensor. Some of that late model computer stuff. What transfercase are you running? - it may have a static gear that you can put a speedo cable on.

·
Registered
91 Posts
ZF 5sp

I purchased a zf 5 speed today 4x4 s-42 just rebuilt for 450 CHEAP well i think i am going to install it and see how i like the gearing and if i dont i will put diesel gears in. Let me know what you think. What goes on the side in that inlet electric speedo rpm ?????

That is a good deal i guess is a small block pattern i would use the np 205 or the bw 1375 transfer case without having to spend $$$ for the adapter for the dana 20

·
Registered
7 Posts
It is the reverse switch. The fords use a tone ring and sensor in the rear differential for the vss, speedo, and anti-lock brakes.
Jimbo

·
Registered
25 Posts
GREAT find. Jimbo's right. VSS in rear end, although some zf's had a provision for a speedo cable. 87-91 had it. If you don't, I believe some transfer cases have that as well.

·
Registered
267 Posts
where did you buy that trans from for that cheap?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I want one

Do they have another? I will send you my T-19 with a Dana 20 attached plus pay you for that tranny. It is crazy what a guy will do for an overdrive.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
That is dirt cheap. $450 won't even come close to covering just the labor to go through one not to mention The $250 or so in parts that go into one. You got a deal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts