Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got some probably pretty basic questions... I've started looking for a 4BT to put in my 5.9L Grand Cherokee .

How can you tell the differences between various years?
What are the power differences between the years?
What is the difference between the 4B and the 4BT? Turbo I would assume... just looking for verification.

Will no doubt end up with a NV4500... as I want to put a stick in. What are people using for clutch/bellhousings? The dodge stuff from the 6BT?

Anyone put one of these in a Grand? See a few other jeepers on here... Looking forward to being able to afford towing my 360'd Willys M38 again! :D

Thanks all!
Bill

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
1. The B = series ,T = turbo , A = aftercooler * water or air.
2. The will depend where or what it came from,clp #,injection pump,ect.
3. The bellhousing or clutch can come from the 6b from the dodge,need to match your clutch to the power that you'll have or want to have alway's go to a bigger clutch than you'll need cheaper to do it now than later after you over powered the disc.

all this info is on the board ,we have a great group here and we always help each other.

CrewCab59

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info... much to learn in the move away from gas! So much info on this board that I don't even know where to start searching.
Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I used a '00 bellhousing, flywheel and clutch from a CTD 2WD. The tranny is a '96 NV4500 2WD. maybe some of the other guys can tell you for sure, but as I recall I could have had a larger clutch if I'd used an earlier 6BT flywheel, like '89-'93? I'm not worried, as the 12.25" that I have now is more than I'll need, but still if you can go bigger, do it. The earlier flywheel allows something like a 13" clutch, serious overkill :)

The #1 way to tell differences is you CPL number and dataplate on engine which tells year and type. Far as I know, with very few exceptions, the power ratings are the same for any year 4B, 4BT or 4BTA. that is, all 4BT's are 105 hp, all 4BTA's are 120 hp etc. but someone will correct if I'm wrong.

I don't think any 4B's were used in vehicles so not an engine to buy. At least get a 4BT, and if possible, a 4BTA. You can add an aftercooler to a 4BT to make it a 4BTA but probably easier and cheaper to get already there when you buy. Again, others can enlighten further.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right on... good stuff to know. I've got a 4BT coming this weekend for me to check out. Will know more about my options then.

Thanks!
Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts