Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kinda new here.

I currently own a Reman'd 2001 4BTA which i plan to install into my 1994 Toyota landcruiser here in April. Just recently, i have gotten some negative feedback from various sources about this motor in a daily driver type vehicle.

Since gas prices i have limited the road time i use my landcruiser but was hoping to change that with the added mpg of the turbo diesel.

My TLC has 302k miles on it right now so some reviving is due soon.

Anyways, I'll cut to the chase. Before i go spending $$$ to have a shop(Proffitts) install this motor i'd like to get more opinions. More importantly, i'd like to know if anyone in the midatlantic region(VA) has any type of vehicle with a 4bt or 4BTA in it. I'd like to get a sense of the noise level this thing will produce and the vibration.

Thanks alot,
Hope to hear from someone soon.
Brandon

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it running?

Again, just trying to get a feel for vibration and noise. The 80series landcruisers are insulated pretty well, and i'd add some more for good measure.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Scott,

Thanks but thats a very long drive from northern VA. Perhaps if i'm in the heighborhood.

For everyone else, please dont hesitate to give input on the 4BTA itself as a daily driver motor. I searched the forum and there was little on this topic. Perhaps it will be helpful to other in the future.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I live in Warrenton and work at Dulles. E-mail me if you want to talk.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I plan on daily driving mine. Shaking will depend on how you mount it and what kind of motor mounts. I've come across several threads here about those topics. Veggie80 over on ih8mud.com did a conversion in an FJ80 and sounds like it's quiet enough, maybe ask him some questions. The are a pair of durango's in the build-up section that have some videos and they sound confortable inside the cab to me. I'd say go for it, the volumn can be controlled.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I'm not in NOVA, but i'm just north of baltimore, you can come take a drive in my durango if you want to make the trip...

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
oh, and if you find any 2k1 4bt's i might be needing one down road for emissions... i've got a good 96 in the durango now... We'll see what i can come up with, i'd really like to register it in MD and not be shady...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input and offers guys. Keep it comin.

Before i make a big finanacial decision i do think it would be wise to get a well rounded feel for these things. I'm gonna try to pm all those who offered.

Thanks again.

-Brandon

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
i meant one you weren't using. If you decide not to use it, let me know though... is it an inline pump by any chance? does it have an epa sticker on it? sorry to hog up your thread...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hey man I'm just down in southern maryland down past waldorf. I do not have a running truck yet but here's a couple things to consider.

As already stated you should be able to manage the vibes by playing around with different engine mount configurations.

As for using it as a daily driver you're going to have to match your operating rpm range with your gearing. You might want to run some numbers through one of the available gearing calculators. I can't remember if there's on on here but I know there is one on the IH8MUD website.

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
Your gonna have to help me out with that.
I know landcruisers, but cummins diesel motors(yet)
Looks like a CPL 857 like mine (VE Pump, JWAC, 120HP.. Can't tell more without seeing the exhaust manifold, but you can confirm from your tag..)

That engine was remanufactured in 2001, but it is NOT EPA certified for 2001. VE Pump on-road use EPA certification is only up to MY 93, IIRC.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
hmm interesting info on the 1993 EPA certification. I guess i will need an epa certified engine from 2001 or newer...hmm looks like an ISB to me, ugh.

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
hmm interesting info on the 1993 EPA certification. I guess i will need an epa certified engine from 2001 or newer...hmm looks like an ISB to me, ugh.
Yep.. And even then, unless your vehicle is over 8500LB GVWR, it's still not 100% legit (federal).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts