Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the site, find it very interesting and informative. I just have a few questions. First off, other than the vehicle, what is the total cost of converting to a 4BTor Isuzu 4BD1t? Has anyone done a really good job of documenting the conversion to give guidance to newbies? Finally, has anyone come up with a good kit to help with the conversion process? Thanks in advance for he answers.

Mike

·
Registered
477 Posts
No kits are available. You are on your own as far as all fabrication. If you don't have the ability to do the fabrication this probably isn't the swap for you. There are a few members here that could help for a fee if you are local to them. (see "Vendor Showcase" "Custom Fab Work")
As far as cost goes, it can be just about anything. Some guys pay big dollars for a near new motor, and the same for a near new transmission and then continue with the big money durring the rebuild. Others find a running doner truck cheap, take the motor and transmission out and sell the truck for near what they invested. They continue fabricating and rebuilding what is necessary and get into a completed project economically.
There is a lot of information here on different conversions. Obviously some vehicles are easier and cheaper than others to convert. From my reading it seems the Ford pickup trucks with the straight 6 and manual 5 speed may be the easiest and cheapest if you can find a Ford step van for the motor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the information. Not to worried about hte fabrication, just the nitnoid details that bit you in the.... Other than the engine, where are folks finding parts for intercoolers, required rad size and such? Is there a ECM required for either the Cummins 4BT or Isuzu 4BD1T/2T to operate properly?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I have about 5k into my swap. Add another 2500 for a second transmission and that should be pretty close.

That is just parts.

it isn't cheap by any means...

my stock durango rad seems to cool the 4bt just fine so far.

No ECM for the 4bt, i don't think the isuzu engines have one either. The newer ISB cummins engines will have one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
money

i put one in a rock crawler. bought it from merita company. i have about $4000 in the motor tranny and t case and i did all the work myself

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have quite a bit into my truck, but most of it is not in the conversion. I am rebuilding and customizing the whole truck. As far as the conversion I am one of the cheap guys. I bought a running P30 bread truck. I drove it about 500 miles home. I cut the truck up and sold the scrap aluminum, tires and wheels, and a few small items from it. That left me with a motor and transmission without a lot invested. I had to rebuild the turbo which was less than $100. I had a driveshaft cut and balanced for another $200. I spent $225 for a new aluminum radiator. I put an new$150 A/C compressor on my motor which I probably shouldn't have. Motor mounts were about $75. The transmission mount another $25. I probably have another $25 in metric bolts. $50 for a front belt. I have not bought radiator hoses yet. I got a new take off Duramax exhaust system for free that I hope to cut up for most of my exhaust system. I built my motor mount brackest at no cost. I am far from complete at this point, but the actual conversion cost shouldn't be to bad.

The rest of my truck is where my money is. My original basket case truck was about $1000. I have spent at least $5000 for repairs and modifications to the truck since then. Looking back I would do some of the things differently. First, I would have build a rat truck like the 3.9 in a 39 Chevy post. On my build I spent too much on my rear axle. I had a GM 10 bolt completely rebuilt for $525. I know it is going to break. I should have bought a used GM 12 bolt since it would have been a direct bolt in and much stronger.

I don't have any glass in my truck yet, or interior, gauges, or wiring, Some of the body panels have not been repaired/painted, the front clip is still off the frame. I may run into problems with hood clearance and body mounts. I have a big project yet.

I am a little burned out on my project. It has been sitting untouched for a few months. I hope to get inspired as soon as it gets a little cooler. It is just too hot to work in the garage here now. It was 104 today and the humidity was high. Miserable!

·
Super Moderator
8,976 Posts
Thanks for the information. Not to worried about hte fabrication, just the nitnoid details that bit you in the.... Other than the engine, where are folks finding parts for intercoolers, required rad size and such? Is there a ECM required for either the Cummins 4BT or Isuzu 4BD1T/2T to operate properly?
Generally the vehicles that get a cummins or Isuzu this size put in have had a decent size petrol engine. Diesels have less cooling load for the same power output so if the radiator is in good condition, you can use that.

Gearbox and/or adaptors could be your biggest single cost after buying the engine. Also factor in buying jacks, axle stands, engine crane etc if you don't have them already.
Engine mounts would be your next major.

But the little costs will certainly add up. Where you stop depends on how fussy you are (there's a scandinavian guys 6BT conversion which shows the extreme end online somewhere).
Plumbing, fabrication, wiring, painting etc.

The drain on your time will probably be horrific. Factor in a divorce or two.:dustin:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the information

Thanks for the information- Keep it coming:) . Is there a specific wiring harness you would have to get to run these motors or will it wire up easily? All I got right now are questions. I own a duramax and love the diesel and better than gas fuel economy. I am looking for something a little smaller to get around town in and want much better than ave fuel economy, and diesel seems to be the way to go, just don't want to pay the up to $10k price tag on top of the "new" car price.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
well, the 4bt should suit your needs as long as you can take the noise bounce

wiring is really simple, no real harness to speak of. Mine came with a small harness for the Wax motor, but that was it.

12v to starter solenoid
12v to starter
12v to fuel solenoid
12v to wax motor

and you are ready to go...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts