Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting a diesel for a while to stuff in my old landrover. After already getting setup for a 4.3 Chevy V6, I found a 4BT close by for a decent price. The motor is out of a Chevy P30 stepvan. Mileage unknown, but the guy that has it says it ran fine when he pulled it to use for another project. 2 years later he's decided to sell it. It turns fine using a wrench on the front pulley. All the parts seem to be there but the filters are a little beat up. The main thing that bothers me visually is the rear lifting bracket. One of the bolts is broken down in the head and the other bolt seems to have broken out a section of the head.

Sorry about the long description, the real question is what else should I be looking at if before I purchase this?

As for tranny's it's got a chevy adapter and cluth on it still, as well as
starter. Would an old SM420 bolt right up to this thing?

Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
169 Posts
What are you putting it in? What are you using it for? What tranny do you want to use?

A little more information would help up help you.:dustin:

·
Registered
854 Posts
One of the bolts is broken down in the head and the other bolt seems to have broken out a section of the head.
Get a 5/16" left-hand drill bit, an E-Z out and some PB Blaster and you are good to go!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tip on the left hand drill bit. I'll give it a shot.

The motor is going in an old land rover. I plan to run an SM420 behind it unless I hear otherwise on this forum. It's what i have on hand and I like the 7:1 first gear for crawling. It will be used mainly for off road with occasional on road duty probably 70% offroad 30% on road. If I find the need for speed I'll think about an NV4500 later if I can afford it.

I plan to run a divorced mount landrover LT230 transfer case and stock axles, in a spring over for now. The rear should be fine it a landrover equivalent to a Dana 60, the front will be a problem sooner or later.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I decided to take the plunge. I picked up the complete 4BT motor with GM adapter, flywheel, starter and clutch. I found it at a local junk yard. They're saying they guarantee it's a good running motor. What do I need to do to fire it up and see if it really is. Is it really as simple as just putting 12 volts to the fuel solenoid and bumping the starter?

·
Registered
854 Posts
1) Change oil and fuel filters. Fill each all the way to the top before spinning them on. Tighten oil drain plug (ask me why!) and fill the crankcase with 15W-40 oil.

2) You need enough 3/8 and 3/16 fuel line to get from the gas jug to the inlet of the lift pump, and also the return back (small line behind fuel filter)
You need to turn the engine over until you get a good feel on the small lever on the lift pump. Use the lift pump to prime the system until no air bubbles from the return line.

3) two big battery cables, one good battery

4) two small wires. One is for the fuel solenoid, the other is to engage the starter.

5) STRAP THAT SUCKER DOWN! These engines move around a LOT when you start them up or shut them down.

6) you could add a coolant circuit to it, but I don't think you would hurt anything starting it and letting it run for 30 seconds. Mine will idle for several minutes and I can still put my hand right on the exhaust. They run cool.

·
Administrator
4,180 Posts
6) you could add a coolant circuit to it, but I don't think you would hurt anything starting it and letting it run for 30 seconds. Mine will idle for several minutes and I can still put my hand right on the exhaust. They run cool.
I agree with the 30 second run time and it should never be exceeded. If you restart it it should never be less than three minutes from the last time you shut it down. The B series Cummins has a built in defect problem in the injector area of the cylinder head. This area is prone to cracking and there is a tolerance specification for the amount of cracking as specified in the Cummins service manual. I can not think of a better method of transforming a usable within tolerance head that has cracking into a piece of scrap cast iron simply by running it without coolant. Replacement cylinder heads are not cheap but it's your engine and your dollar$.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thankyou both for the recommendations. The one thing I had already thought of was strapping it down.

Good info on the coolant issue and associated head problems. I will play it safe and try to plumb in a coolant circuit. Would it work to just hook up a garden hose?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Would it work to just hook up a garden hose?
If you planned on doing an extended time run, that would work. Even if you just fill the water jacket, that would be enough, probably. Don't make it a constant stream.
I just put in a new thermostat and it takes several miles before the temp gauge starts to move.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts