Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 89 mazda b2600 i love diesels and even went to school for them b4 i droped out and joined the military. my question is what am i looking @ if i do this swap i have general knowledge on swaps but this will be my 1st gas to diesel. can yall give me a heads up on what i might run in to

·
Registered
75 Posts
HOLD>>>STOP>>>CEASEFIRE

A 4bt is a big heavy engine. I beleive you have a small lightweight truck. There are companies out there I beleive JDM is one of them that import Diesel drivetrains from Japan. These are drivertrains that were made to go in your vehicle (the overseas model). The 4cyl japanese diesels tend to be 2.4-3.4 L turbodiesels and will come with all wiring, tranny, and transfer case for 2-3K. This is a good value for a small vehicle. A 4Bt will be about 1K cheaper, but after the mods to fit it into a small truck and dealing with the vibes, noise, and weight, the small Japanese diesel looks better. If you have a full size truck or off road machine the 4bt is probably a better choice.

·
Registered
854 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
The old Mazda trucks (before they became re-badged Rangers in 93) are no where near as heavy built as a Ranger/Bronco II.

I really wouldn't swap a 3.9 into a compact truck anyways. The 3.3 is a much better match.

·
Registered
454 Posts
how old is your truck ? for the last few years in australia, we have been able to buy a mazda bravo (B2600) with a 2.5 turbo diesel. it is intercooled, and is good power and economy wise. it is called a WL-T if you are interested.

·
Registered
854 Posts
thanks i'll see if i can find one ,will it bolt up to my trani or will i need a new one?
When you are getting ideas of engine swaps in your head.....never assume the trans will bolt up. Hope for the best, but expect the worst!

You could also look for an Isuzu Trooper turbo diesel engine and trans

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok well what goes into one of these swaps if i desided to do it to my f150 instead be cause i really likde the idea of doin of it

·
Registered
854 Posts
With a Ford F-150, you can get a 4BT with the correct adapter already on the back of the engine and it will bolt to the trans in the Ford (which is what I did)

My frame mounts are stock V8 mounts that I cut down and welded shorter. The rubber motor mounts (between engine and frame mounts) are from Dodge 360 V8 pickup.

The 400M that came out was HEAVY (iron heads, iron intake, iron exhaust) and I swear the truck sits a little lower in front with the 4BT in it. Maybe my imagination, but it SURE FEELS like the 4BT is heavier than the 400M when handling it and moving it around.

The two biggest hurdles for me was cutting down a 6BT ex manifold and welding the ends shut (my high-mount 4BT turbo manifold put the turbo outlet too close to the firewall)
and the throttle linkage cable was a PITA. I may still do a re-work on it, it just isn't really professional looking.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I'd suggest you dig through the Buildup Showcase section and the Tech section sticky 'FAQ's' to find similar rigs, several F150's are described in detail.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts