Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have located a step van locally. they guy wants to keep the box, but wants to sell the 1980 4bt and trubo 400 tranny (5k miles on new tranny). He will also sell the radiator and drive line with it. The motor is still in an i'll have to pull it. He wants 3k for the motor and trans. Is it worth it. I have price the new engines complete at 5200 and used in other places for 2700 plus freight. I have local frito lay fleet close by, but can't get anyone there to answer the phone. Would patience possibly save me a few dollars.

P.S. I'm gonna put it in a 67 f-100 swb

·
Registered
2 Posts
That seems pretty high. I bought a whole ford chassis step van for 2500. I would definitely look for a ford, because it will bolt right up to any 300/6 or sbf trans. The chevy won't. Where is local? The body of the van is worth more for scrap than the van itself, that's probably why he wants to keep the van. If you have any other questions pm me. I don't get on here very much and don't even know how to pm. But I will check back in a day or two.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That seems pretty high. I bought a whole ford chassis step van for 2500. I would definitely look for a ford, because it will bolt right up to any 300/6 or sbf trans. The chevy won't. Where is local? The body of the van is worth more for scrap than the van itself, that's probably why he wants to keep the van. If you have any other questions pm me. I don't get on here very much and don't even know how to pm. But I will check back in a day or two.
He called back and wants me to take the whole truck for 3600. It is worth 1k in scrap, according to him, and i would have all of the cables, mounts etc. that are in the truck to use. I would then have 2600 in the motor and a new transmission. What do yall think? I don't want to mess up or miss out either. I could drive it home if i bought it as it is only a few hours from here.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Purchased a Step van on Dove Bid (4bt) BUYER BE WARE

I bought a step van from Frito lay through dove bid. I was pretty confident about the van because i talked with the mechanic that serviced it. He said all was good as did the descripton. What i wasn NOT prepared for was the 18% bidders premeium that tack on at the end. I did not read the fine print well enought so with taxes and all i'll have 4k in a 91. It has the turbo 400 tranny. The other kicker is that it was listed in Nashville, but in reality it is in KY. That adds to my going up to pick it up. Overall i am happy. Everywhere i checked these engines are high. I found one that had 410k miles on it and they still wanted 2500 plus core charge. I plan to drive up there and get it next week. It should be a long 60-65mph ride home. I'm assuming that thing is geared low and it wouldn't be good to pust it 70 MPH for 8-1/2 hours. It is 3500 to have one rebuilt. All in all i am happy with my purchase and look forward to dismantling the van to recoop 1k i hope. Any shared thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
brobrad...you should check with the seller about driving the van. Most times the vans are sold as salvage with a salvage title and are not allowed off of the sales lot unless they are on a trailer. (speaking from experience)

·
Registered
22 Posts
i bought a colonial bread truck (ford e-350 1 ton chassis) with a t19 tranny and only a couple of hundred miles on a fresh in-frame for $3200. sold the body for scrap---$1465. parted the chassis out $830. sold the wheels and tires...6 at $20 each. the remaining steel brought $85 at the salvage yard.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks citojaso, i did get a little break as they knocked the tax off of mine. that saved me 300. ANy suggestions on breaking it down for scrap? In other words, any pointers from learned lessons?

·
Registered
22 Posts
i spent a lot of time taking my van apart....how much time you take will depend on how much you want to reduce your total outlay. i drilled every rivet, saved the rivets and heads (scrap is by the pound), saved every self-taping screw (they are stainless and come in handy), emptied the fuel tank (mine had 30 gals of good clean fuel). put everything you can think of...coil springs, leaf springs, brake drums and rotors, rear end, rear bumper (the guy who bought mine was gonna cut it in the middle, shorten it and use it on his pickup), pedestal seat (makes a fine stool for work bench or counter), wheels and tires (try to sell as a set), anything that might have value on craigs list. if you can find a metal working shop that is interested, the aluminum is worth more as large sheets. if your van is insulated try to not mess up the thin sheet covering the foam insulation (you might find someone building a cold box)...the heavy extrusions, floor bracing, front bumper (mine was really heavy aluminum) all the corner radiuses, side rub-rails, flooring plates, front clip, grill, rivets and heads can all go to the scrap yard. be sure to shop around for best price...i got 85 cents a pound for "clean aluminum". when you figure time spent trying to sell everything has equaled the value you place on it it's time to load it all up and take it to the scrap yard. good luck!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll be shopping around on finding the best salvage yard to take it to in the next week or so. My dilemma still remains getting it home. I am thinking of using my F-250 (Supercrew 7.3 Superduty, 4WD, LWB) and a 8000lb tow bar to drag it home. Any thoughts or experience there?

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you can get a complete van to part out its best , you will find alot of small parts usable and save time scrounging. Then you have a mobile storage shed if your neibors dont throw a fit, if you scrap van save skill saw blades, take a pnematic chisle and pop heads of rivits off. I did it that way and had scrap preped in a few hours got over $1300 for scrap.

·
Registered
22 Posts
brobrad...nothing wrong with the towing idea, just be sure the tires are good enough for the trip. you'll need to wire up a set of lights...stop, tail and since it's as large as it is the clearance lights will also have to be working. unless you just feel lucky. if you have trouble with the van tracking try removing the power steering lines. don't get in a hurry and don't forget the van will have NO brakes. good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts