Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

I am new here. Who here has put their classic (61-79) crew cab on a newer dodge chassis with the 5.9 12v (or other Cummins)? Would love to see pictures.

For the swap, what donor dodge should I be looking for? Crew cab? Single cab? Long bed? I’m curious to know what wheel base is preferred for this swap. I understand major fabricating is going to need to happen, but want to set myself ahead of the game.

Would love all of your thoughts/opinions/pictures.

Thanks!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would think you would want to find a chassis with a similar wheelbase to the original. What are your planes/goals for the swap?

·
Registered
397 Posts
I would start by noting your current wheel base and bed length. Then, what is your desired bed length? Actual bed or flatbed?

Roy

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have an 05 myself and a 79 . The 05 frame is spliced from the factory , as in rear slides into the front and is welded. The welds can be removed and the wheel base changed easily . The newer frames are wider and axles are wider also than the earlier models .

·
Registered
41 Posts
^^^
Likewise I concluded that it would be easier to put the cab that I wanted on a CTD chassis than it would be to transplant the power-train, and then transplant or fab a coil spring front suspension into the truck with the cab that I want. That the modern chassis would also be stronger (higher Section Modulus) is a bonus.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts