Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
I used to use the Colt stage 2 regrinds, but then needed one quick and all he had was stage 3's on new cores. I have used the stage 3's ever since. You don't loose anything, but the mid range and top end are excellent.

Most cams I have pulled out in the past 5 years, even with 3000 mile oil changes since new, have had serious cam/lifter wear I would attribute to the lack of zinc in new oil. So I just plan on a new cam and lifters in every engine build and do the Colt stage 3 even on stock engines.

·
Registered
1964 Chevy C10, Cummins ISB170, Allison 1000 5 speed, full float 9”, ECU Tune, 5/7” static drop
220 Posts
Do you suggest a boost fooler? And if so what brand and part number. I’m only able to get 20 psi on the HY30W. May need to just get a super HX30. Want to try a boost fooler first and see if the ecm is fuel cutting first.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I don't think the turbo is the limiting factor, I had the same sort of boost until I installed the boost fooler. I removed it when I got the ECU tuned.
Our engines are not the same as the 5.9 when it comes to the boost sensor output so I had to have one custom made by BD Diesel.
You may want to do the ECU tune and get a bit more power and RPM.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Finally getting around to re assembling the engine. Got the short block done this week.
I still need a few things to get it finished. It had one pushrod with the top cap broken off so I need a pushrod, I think the 24V 5.9 may be the same.
Having the injection pump gone over, injectors gone over and new 33% tips installed.

Reactions: Motohead1

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Got a start on this swap last week.
Its looking pretty good at this point. Lots of room compared to the Dakota.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Got some video of my Dakota with the same Cummins.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Had a good weekend. Got the intercooler mounted, A/C bracket mostly fabricated, just needs a bit of trimming and also the Alternator mounted. Supposed to get the transmission adapter this week. :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Got the adapter installed so I can start engine mounts.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I spent a LOT of time reading up on engine mounts for the older 4BT which vibrates a lot more than these ISB's. Some guys are using the Anchor 2698 fluid mounts which I have used on my TDI swaps and also just replaced the old marine style engine mounts on my ISB170/Dodge Dakota. They are a nice mount but must be mounted vertical as they can't take any side load. The RAM frame mounts work out really well at 45 degrees so I'm going with the other popular 4BT swap mount which is the Anchor 2710 from an early Dodge diesel pickup. They are known to be a bit hard and people have drilled holes through the rubber to soften them up with no long term problems. I think I will drill a couple of holes but hope that the smoother running ISB won't transmit much vibration through them. Got the passenger side tacked together this weekend and all the parts cut for the drivers side. Still have to add a bit of webbing to the mount. Starter clearance is tight but it can be removed with the mount in place.

Reactions: Fxsu

·
Registered
294 Posts
Your using the stock 8 speed right? Besides the torque converter and programming is there anything different between the gas and eco-diesel version?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Not that I can find, Same Same.
Its very hard to even get info on the converter. A couple of guys have suggested that the gas converter would have a lower stall behind the ISB than the Echodiesel one. I'm just going to start with the gas converter and even stock programming to get it up and running.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Finally got the completed adapter from TD Conversions so the engine is now bolted to the trans and installed for hopefully the last time.

The engine is so tall even in a full size truck.

·
Selling 4bt & 6bt parts to all of N.America
496 Posts
Nice !!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Been working on the accessory drive setup this week. I'm glad this truck has electric power steering. :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
NO smoke at all but fueling has a lot to do with the tune as well. I'm not aware of any plug and play 6 speed TCM's that are compatible with the ISB. There are a few company's that sell a secondary module that will give you basic 6 speed functions. The 5 speed Allison is the only plug and play way to go. I have both 5 speed and 6 speed Allison's sitting here if the 8 speed wont work.

Reactions: BroncoLuke

·
Registered
2 Posts
NO smoke at all but fueling has a lot to do with the tune as well. I'm not aware of any plug and play 6 speed TCM's that are compatible with the ISB. There are a few company's that sell a secondary module that will give you basic 6 speed functions. The 5 speed Allison is the only plug and play way to go. I have both 5 speed and 6 speed Allison's sitting here if the 8 speed wont work.
You wouldnt have any links to the tcm I need for the 6 speed would ya?

21 - 40 of 43 Posts