Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's my 1984 Nissan Patrol MK that i am currently repowering with a Cummins 6b(ta)

The reason for having an '84 car is that in my country, all cars constructed before 1987 are free of road taxes.
Especially with a heavy diesel like the Patrol, this will save me around 150 dollars each month, so worth the effort i'd say.

Offcourse, the stock 3.3NA 6 inline diesel that it came with was way underpowered for my liking, so i quickly set of to buy an 3.3TD, with 900.000 kilometers on the ODO.

I then decided the body had too much rust for me to fix, so i set of to find another body, from a much newer Y60 patrol (stil not found :()
And while i was on it, why not swap out the pussy 3.3TD for a real engine?

Picture of the POS
CIMG0610..jpg

The CTD Patrol project took off.

So keeping my eye on the populaire auction sites out here, it didn't take too long before I found an engine nearby.
It's actually an engine from a DAF/Leyland truck, so without turbo. (6B)
This produces a whopping 120 horsepower !

The engine came with gearbox (ZF s542) but no starter/alternator.

Here's a few pic's from the engine when we just picked it up:
Foto-FZXWFIQG..jpg
Foto-NAJHUTUD..jpg

As you can see, it comes with an air compressor and after a few measurements i came to discover it even comes with 2.0mm ID fuel lines stock?
A dodge 6bt is 1.8mm from what i understand, so this is always a nice surprise.

In the meanwhile the hunt for parts started and i have allready purchased a new alternator, new starter, new waterpump, new belt tensioner, new valve cover seals, new Bosch VE fuel pump, a 3200rpm governor spring, new Holset HX35 and new 330HP Bosch injectors :dustin:

I am still looking for a transfercase that wil handle the power, but being in europe those kind of equipment is hard to come by over here :(
Also looking for a Dana 60 + corporate 14 bolt, which are fairly easy to come by over here, as the americans have left plenty of militairy K30 trucks over here in europe.

When i get back from my 6 weeks working in Azerbaijan i will start shoehorning the Cummins into the Nissan engine bay, but i'm pretty confident the swap will go without much hassle.
The stock 6 inline diesel engine is also pretty big and heavy (allthough the cummins is like 300 pounds heavier)

Feel free to ask any questions or give comments... there are not many cummins swaps over here, so i could easily be wrong about some things...

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Nice project Leen and welcome. What part of Holland are you from, my father was born in Middleburg.. GW

·
Registered
91 Posts
The NP205 transfer case would bolt right up to the rear of the ZF 542 make sure it is fom a Ford for sline cont would also have to make a small cut out at the rear of the transmission to clear the transfer case linkage

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice project Leen and welcome. What part of Holland are you from, my father was born in Middleburg.. GW
I'm from the south-west of Holland... about 15 miles from Amsterdam. Your father was a real "zeeuw" then ;)

The NP205 transfer case would bolt right up to the rear of the ZF 542 make sure it is fom a Ford for sline cont would also have to make a small cut out at the rear of the transmission to clear the transfer case linkage
Yes it does, but my gearbox is not from a Ford, nor does it have the correct tail-end for connecting a transfercase...
Yesterday i found out that the Chevy K30's also use a NP205, but then i would have to convert it from married to a divorced t-case.

Should not be a big problem i hope, just as long as i can source all the rights parts for the conversion over here.
In the worst case scenario i would have to order the parts from the states, but it's not a big deal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Leen, I have a Nissan Patrol GQ 93 y60 and I need to know if I must change the original transmission for new 4bt 3.9 engine. Thanks from Bogota, Col

1 - 7 of 7 Posts