Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have a line on a cheap complete cj10a. I am wondering if the sd-33 is worth fooling with. I want to put it into my M880 as a replacement for the 2b 318. I am looking to increase fuel mileage with with around the same capabilities. I know the 318 is substaintially more powerful, can the sd-33 be improved?What about adding a small turbo? Does anyone know if the torqueflight from the cj10 be bolted to the np203 in the dodge with a tailshaft switch?

Thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
The SD-33 came N/A and turbo'd. For more information than you could ever want on them, visit www.binderbulletin.org and go to the diesel thread. Also, their FAQ section has a ton of info, and their search engine should pull up anything you need. If not, there are plenty of people there that are willing to help.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Lil brother...

I have a SD22 and although it looks well neglected it seems to run pretty good for 205k. It is pretty doggy in it's NA configuration. Its in a nissan truck. I would definitely recommend the turbo'd motor unless you are in no hurry. It is an indirect injected engine which means smoother/quieter than a direct injected. Has a domestic tranny pattern on the back. I can't remember which one.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The bolt pattern is SAE #4. Most were manuals, but the IH 727 was available. Though from what I've read, making the linkages work was/is an engineering feat, so IH didn't produce many of those combos. Trying to compare the 22 to the 33 is like apples to oranges. The 22 is a 4cyl, the 33 is a 6cyl. I don't know if the 22 ever came with a turbo, either.

These are great engines, but they are becoming harder to find. That's the main reason I'm not switching to one in my Scout. But if you have already sourced one, use it! Anyway, you should have plenty of room to fit it in, as it's about the size of a 4.0 J**p motor. T-cases were mostly Dana 20's, but IH went to the Dana 300 for the last year, 1980. So either can be had. The T-19 seems to be a popular trans for diesel Scouts.

Here's some quotes from the binder bulletin about the 33:

A total of 10,719 Nissan Diesel powered Scout II's were built from 1976 until the end of production in 1980. 4222 non-turbocharged (SD-33) diesels were used in Scouts from 1976 thru 1979, and 6497 turbocharged (SD-33T) Diesel Scouts were built during the 1980 model year. The diesel option was available in all models except the SSII.

IH used one diesel engine in the Scout II. It was availible turbocharged in 1980. The diesel engine is an inline 6-cylinder that displaced 198 cubic inches. Its bore is 3.27 in. and stroke is 3.94 in. The compression ratio is 21 to 1. The standard diesel produced 92hp, the turbocharged version produced 101 hp and 175 lb/ft of torque. These aren't stunning engine numbers, but these diesels are very reliable and get decent mileage.

Here's a power graph:

While these numbers are not what some would consider "stellar", the SD33 family of Nissan engines are very reliable, strong, and ask for little in the way of maintenance. The engine uses industry-standard BOSCH injection system components (license built by Diesel Kiki) and is known world-wide as a reliable, long-lived powerplant.

As far as performance, all I can say is this; my friend Carl Wiese has a turbo'd 80 Scout Traveler. This rig probably weighs in at about 5500#, as my standard Scout 2 is close to 5k. Anyway, he has propane injection on it, open exhaust (and it's very quiet actually!), and an "elbow eliminator kit" to free up a restriction in the factory exhaust. I think he's running 3.55's and has a close ratio T-19 in it. All this to say,... it is quite peppy. Not a neck snapper by any means, but it has impressed me on several occasions.

If you really need to get into detail about the SD's and their capabilities, go to the IH BB and talk to my friends. John Donnelly is a great guy with an inmeasurable amount of info in his memory banks alone, or talk to Carl. You can find them on there by their names, no secret usernames for them. But be sure to look around the site first, anything you might want to know has probably already been addressed.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
the sd33 is a good engine, but was barely up to the task of moving a scout, I just sold my 80 turbodiesel scout with a springover and 33's on it. it did ok, but i'm building a new one with a 4bt cause it just didin't have enough power to drive comfortably for me, even with a mercedes turbo housing and 3" exhaust.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gentleman, Thanks for the replies. Wiley, the IH sight rocks. I got off on too many side posts to mention and remembered how much I wanted a late Scout II or 80 or 800 or terra or travel all or pickup etc. I may end up passing on the Nissan diesel because I want something a little easier to repair(like with currently produced parts)I have no doubts that the engine could come pretty close to being what I want even, though I could buy an ISB 3.3 for what it would cost to freshen, turbo, methenol inject, add propane, good exhaust and intake and filter. That having been said, I had the greatest of fun trying to get a Samurai 1.3 up to 70hp(stock is 63). Did you know that if the rod,on that little motor,comes out of the piston at 6500rpm it will cut a 1.5 inch trench all the way around the block and throw your oilfilter with bung and a piece of the block still attached hard enough to cut the sidewall on your new tire? I do now.:nuke:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I own a factory SD633T powered 1980 Scout 2 and love it but would i transplant that engine into something else? No i would not the reasons being is the Nissan SD633 is very expensive to get parts for compared to a Cummins or Izuzu, the Nissan is not the most reliable engine (known for cracking pistons and heads), i'am on my second engine do to a cracked piston, i have owned the truck 7 years and have no plans on getting rid of it but as a repower for another car/truck i would pass on the nissan and look for a Cummins or Izuzu. To keep my scout going i ended up buying 3 extra engines in verious conditions so i don't have to get raped everytime i need something for it. I get 22-23MPG in my scout with it with 33's and 3.73's

·
Banned
24 Posts
All of the CJ10A's I have seen came with the 727? Anyway - I agree w/ the above posts in skipping the sd-diesel as a swap candidate. M880+Cummins=Good :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
In stock form these things are very slow, even with a turbo. For some reason you see them for sale alot with a burnt valve or hole in the piston. Why???? I've never seen a diesel scout with over 200k miles on the original motor so let's just say, it's not a cummins.

·
Registered
275 Posts
There's a guy on this forum, "skyhookdutch" that could give you a good rundown on the SD33 compared with the 4BT. I saw his Jeep with the SD33 installed, and then later with a 4BTA. He opted out of the SD33s for numerous reasons. I'm not sure if he's still active on here or not.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts