Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm back on my Willys 4BT project after about a four year absence. I bought a Cummins ReMan engine from a cummins dealer 5 years ago and started it for the first time yesterday. It has absolutely 0 oil pressure. None,nada 0. Started to trouble shoot it per the cummins manual. Checked the pressure regulating valve, checked the oil cooler for shipping plugs, pulled the oil pan to check for cracked pick up tube or missing tube gasket. So far no luck but could anyone tell me how the balance shafts are oiled? Are they just splash oiled or are they pressure fed? There isn't any information in the two Cummins books I have. Can anyone help? Thanks.

·
Vendor
2,664 Posts
Balance shafts were not made for automotive applications(genset I think). Theres an rpm limit on it and I dont recall the exact # but it was low. In an automotive app I think it would be a grenade in your oil pan just waiting to blow.

·
3,907 Posts
Balance shafts were not made for automotive applications(genset I think). Theres an rpm limit on it and I dont recall the exact # but it was low. In an automotive app I think it would be a grenade in your oil pan just waiting to blow.
2200 RPM limit IIRC. :(

Seems like a waste as that should eliminate most of the harshness people complain about (those that do ;) ).

Have you verified your gauge works?

I chased an "overheating" issue for a day, that turned out to be a bad, brand new gauge (custom ordered from the now defunct manufacturer 7 days prior IIRC).

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tested the gauge with air pressure and I also plumbed a mechanical gauge in. I haven't taken the front cover off yet to make sure the oil pump is driving. It must be pumping some because I hand filled the filter before startup and when I removed it to take off the cooler oil ran out when I loosened the filter. Any ideas how the balance shafts are oiled? Can I just remove the shafts or would I need a bunch parts?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Gear drive oil pumps need to be primed or they may not pick up oil. Since the engine was rebuilt several years ago it may have lost prime.
I always prime a new pump with fresh oil or pack gears with petroleum jelly if the engine will set foe an extended time.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Pull the oil press regulator again and dump oil down it, that will prime the oil pump. You can't just remove the cap nut, you have to pull the spring and the sleeve the spring acts on to open up the port to the oil pump.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a lot guys. I'll dump oil through the regulator when my new cooler and oil pan gaskets get here in a couple of days. Does anyone have a source for main bolts?

·
Registered
330 Posts
2200 RPM limit IIRC. :( Seems like a waste as that should eliminate most of the harshness people complain about (those that do ;) ).
I agree. What are the balance shafts made of? Are they cast iron, etc.? Can they be heat treated? Can they be shot peened? How hard would it be to cnc them out of a different material? What's their RPM relative to the engine RPM: 1:1, 2:1, etc.? Maybe the performance guys can comment. Thanks.

·
Vendor
2,664 Posts
when I removed it to take off the cooler
Was a guy on here with identical issues. Stated several times he had the proper cooler gasket. Ended up he was wrong. Make sure its the right gasket and on correctly. Pull an oil gallery plug and crank it over, see if it squirts. I always prime a sitting motor thru an oil gallery port with a drill/brass fittings and a cheap garden hose pump(good for 50psi).

·
3,907 Posts
I agree. What are the balance shafts made of? Are they cast iron, etc.? Can they be heat treated? Can they be shot peened? How hard would it be to cnc them out of a different material? What's their RPM relative to the engine RPM: 1:1, 2:1, etc.? Maybe the performance guys can comment. Thanks.
I think it's 1:1 with the crank, as I recall the shafts are separate from the couterweights (counterwights bolt on to the shafts).

You might be better off getting Sonny Briant or some other billet crank maker to build a set for you.

It might be cheaper to have them make you a fully counterweighted billet crank though.

·
Registered
11,888 Posts
If you want to remove the balancer assembly, you may need a different oil pan and pickup. That thing drives off the crank gear like the rest of the gears in the front housing. You have counter shafts that help eliminate engine vibration. It's like the ones found internally on some modern engines only this one is a bolt on accessory.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts