Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I've almost finished my 4bt swap into a 96 f150 eddie bauer and I've had it started and running but I had no oil pressure. I took off my turbo line and still nothing. My oil filter was also empty so I borrowed a preluber from a friend and ran a half gallon through it into my sending unit. Still nothing. What do i need to check for? I figure oil pump first. If that isn't it is there anyway to check my pickup tube without pulling my motor? Or anything stupid I'm overlooking?

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
Have you done any work to the motor before fitting? Any history on the motor?
When you pre-lubed it did oil flow from the turbo line or fill the filter?
Pre lubing should have let oil back flow into the pump to prime it if it was dry.

Faulty pick up tube or gasket, stuck relief valve or faulty pump
Cheers Steve

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The motor was an old irrigation motor that ran great before we pulled it. I tore it apart and put new gaskets main bearings and such when i prelubed it it filled the filter. There's no way i can check that pickup tube without pulling my motor is there?

·
Registered
11,858 Posts
You can have any number of issues causing your problem. One, the pickup tube has gotten loose and therefore no oil is being fed to the pump. That has been known to happen. A less likely but possible issue is the pickup tube has a hole in it up high and can't pickup oil. Two, you have a defective oil pump. Was this engine running prior to when you bought it? More common to see low oil pressure instead of zero, but it is still possible. Three, the oil pressure relief valve in the oil filter head is frozen in the open position and not allowing the system to build pressure. All the oil is being dumped back to the pan. One note. Did you change the oil filter housing gasket? If you did and used the wrong gasket the oiling system won't function correctly. Below is a picture of the 2 styles of gaskets. The first is for the standard B series. The second is one found on the ISB series and doesn't work on the regular B series.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The engine ran before we took it off and replaced the irrigation well with an electric motor. It then sat for 2 years before i started on this project. I completely dismantled, cleaned, and rebuilt it. I did take that relief valve out and torqued it back down if it was stuck open it would be very difficult to get that plug screwed back on top of the spring wouldn't it? I'm sure the right gasket was put on there.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
My 6BT sat unused for several years. When I first started it, it took a LONG time before I saw any oil pressure. It's been fine ever since.

·
Vendor
2,664 Posts

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
OK if the filter filled when you tried to pre-lube then it sounds more like there is an issue with pick up or pick up gasket. Sorry that means dropping the oil pan.
Did you have the pump off while refreshing it? is it sealed to the block correctly?
Cheers Steve

·
Registered
11,858 Posts
You said you removed the relief valve, but did you? There are 2 valves on the oil filter head. The one behind the plug with the big spring on the exterior of the filter head is the "Oil Pressure Regulator Valve". There's another one on the back of the filter head which is the "Oil Pressure Relief Valve". That one you can't see unless you take the filter head assembly off the block. Here's some photos of that one.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok maybe i took the regulator off? It had a big spring under it. But i just decided to pull the oil pump pack it full of grease and i stuck it back on there i guess even after prelubing it didn't seal itself up? I left my turbo line off and started it up, stepped out, and yelled some profanities both in joy and anger. In that short amount of time my floor was covered in oil lol so idk if i just didn't prelube it enough or what but by God she pumps now.

·
Registered
11,858 Posts
It's possible the oil pump wasn't seated correctly too. The installation of that part requires a 3 step torque process. Glad she's slinging oil now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts