Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if you can add a turbo to a non turbocharged engine? What exactly is the after cooler? Can an intercooler be added or replace an aftercooler if height is a concern since it looks like the after cooler pipe goes over the engine? Thanks for your suggestions and onfo for a noob who is wanting to start playing with diesel! Jack

·
Super Moderator
8,975 Posts
I am wondering if you can add a turbo to a non turbocharged engine? What exactly is the after cooler? Can an intercooler be added or replace an aftercooler if height is a concern since it looks like the after cooler pipe goes over the engine? Thanks for your suggestions and onfo for a noob who is wanting to start playing with diesel! Jack
Yes you can turbo a non-turbo engine. Just check the compression ratio first. Engines with high compression ratios (above 20:1) are best kept on single digits of boost.

Intercooler/aftercooler, same thing really. Some people make the distinction that aftercooler = water cooled intercooler.

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
Well..

Just adding a turbo to it won't put you at equal power with a "native" turbo unit unless you also either modify the existing IP or swap for a turbo IP since the current IP won't have anything to add fuel with boost. (I don't know if adding the stuff for turbo to a non-turbo IP is really all that feasible, either. Could be a tuning nightmare..)

Also, there are sometimes other differences between turbo and non-turbo engines of the same family that aren't readily apparent on the outside that could be a real "gotcha" once in motion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts