Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
130 Posts
I may be full of crap like a young robin, but that looks like a 71 series cover with the hold down bolts in the center and none on the edges.
Steve--There have been 2 different styles of hold downs on cast aluminum covers for 53 series. . When the "Silver" was released in '85, there was a bracket added to rocker arm stands that would enable '71-92 style hold downs, the later a cast example had perimeter hold downs like the stamped stee covers of old .

· Registered
130 Posts
Been trying to educate myself on some of the finer details of the 53 series engines because I would like to someday buy/rebuild one to later use in a project. It'll be a slow process, so I have the time to research and find the right parts. I was looking at a 4-53T the other day that as far as I can tell is an industrial unit from 1982, so a US built pre-silver turbo. It looks a little rough, but complete. The part that im not clear on is the valve cover. It doesnt look like the standard steel cover and it also looks different than the tall aluminum covers. Is this a Jacobs cover? Is it something else?

What's the difference between marine, industrial, power base, and generator? Which if any would be best for a truck platform? Any other big things I should look out for?

View attachment 135027
The variety of engine applicatios you've mentioned, only differ in governors , flywheel housings, flywheels, cooling system, so give us some more detrailed pictures, and I'll suggest changes that could help you in your application Have you read any of the "Sticky" standard questions posted by Grigg Mullen , in the library ? Here's a sample of what works for me, for 38 years .
Bicycle Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

· Registered
130 Posts
NEODAN .. Can you explain that Sticky note . Statement ...I have to admit, But I've been here for a long time .
& I was caught off guard about the stickys. & I believe I started building my Bronco into a Diesel Bronco about 12 years ago. & Yes I've never read one of them. Now I did work for the biggest Diesel Dodge 12v dealership for 11 years . & I HAVE FARMED with Diesels since 1974.. SO This sight really helped me when I decided to put the little 4BT into my 1972 Bronco .. & I've had a Parts store from 1974 until 1995 . At one time I farmed 500 more ac away from my home harm of 143ac. SO I'VE Mechaniced on lots of different tractors, Machinery, trucks, cars, Old Hot Rods . & I was the Du POINT paint & Body supply parts in our town of 20K . & ABOUT THE ONLY ONE IN A 40 mile radius. & I SOLD CAR & TRUCK & Tractor PARTS ALSO ... I'm not a Rookie .. But I'm also not a computer wiz. & I just plain & simple miss a lot on these computer sights ..
....... I did better on here before it was sold out & Changed, but I've worked my way back ... I thought..
Thanks .
Papitt----Yes I spoke of "Sticky Notes, but hadn't gone back to verify they're still there till today. So I reverted back to the heading-----DD, Perkins and Caterpillar. Then notice the top 3 headings, but the key is "Common DD 53 questions". Like you, I've been on this site for years, as I consider it the all inclusive bible for conversion addicts like myself. And yes, I've had somewhat ulterior motives for participating, as I sold DDA from '72-'87 . But I also wanted to build my own conversion, using the best "SAE Practices", and utilize the knowledge that the many special schools during my years in the heavy truck industry provided since 1960. In those early years, my comments caught the attention of moderator Grigg Mullen of Virginia. I'd scan and send Grigg copies of DD technical bulletins, and he'd post the info in the library. I posted under a different name prior to about 5 years ago, possibly under "Junkman Dan". And at 89 years old, this site is still my "hot button" . I was taught early on that "horsepower" is somewhat meaningless in the conversion hobby, because you can't put the HP to the ground anyway. But torque is key, and regardless of what the naysayers say, the 2 stroke principle is the closest medium to the electric motor...........or steam power , where peak torque is produced at stall . This is easily verified by the comparisons that Eaton and Spicer printed in their application guidelines for the heavy truck industry. You'll note that the "lowly" 6-71 produces much better T-800 torque than a KT Cummins and many other larger engines. T-800 is the industry standard for clutch engagement torque for starting the load .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts