Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been trying to educate myself on some of the finer details of the 53 series engines because I would like to someday buy/rebuild one to later use in a project. It'll be a slow process, so I have the time to research and find the right parts. I was looking at a 4-53T the other day that as far as I can tell is an industrial unit from 1982, so a US built pre-silver turbo. It looks a little rough, but complete. The part that im not clear on is the valve cover. It doesnt look like the standard steel cover and it also looks different than the tall aluminum covers. Is this a Jacobs cover? Is it something else?

What's the difference between marine, industrial, power base, and generator? Which if any would be best for a truck platform? Any other big things I should look out for?

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Landscape Engineering

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes I've read the stickies and they're helpful but to people who don't live on these forums or have a long history of wrenching on these things, they kind of generate more questions than anything else. Appreciate the responses - got a lot more learning to do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts