Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've scoured these threads for a 612 Mercedes swap, and have found nothing.

I am wanting to do one of these swaps into a 9th gen Suburban/Yukon.

Need some help. Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is discussed in the other thread that I commented on just now (Mercedes Sprinter Transplant) You will find suitable comment and advice there mate

there is also comment with respect to transmission options.

In short, best find an OM606 T engine for your transplant. Better stronger easier to use, modify, etc etc.

Cheers steu

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yessir, since posting, I have read all about the small problems the om612 has. I want a plug and play setup that all I have to do is change the oil and simple maintenance.

What about the 603? Do you know anything about that motor? I can buy one right now for $300.

What about the trannies?

Should I do a whole powertrain swap or use the 4L60 in the Burb?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry late reply. The 603 is a lovely motor. Avoid the 3.5 units 'rod benders'. If you find one and it 'clacks' up top- that is generally ok as the lifters are sometimes dodgy but more often than not come good esp if oil changes have been neglected (they improve with early quick oil changes). You won't get that far with N/A engine converted to turbo- it will destruct sooner or later. Find a T motor. Go to Super Turbo Diesel and there is massive amount of information there to help you along.
If you find a OM602. 920 or similar T motor designation, grab the pump. $300 US might be good buying for the lot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yessir, since posting, I have read all about the small problems the om612 has. I want a plug and play setup that all I have to do is change the oil and simple maintenance.

What about the 603? Do you know anything about that motor? I can buy one right now for $300.

What about the trannies?

Should I do a whole powertrain swap or use the 4L60 in the Burb?

Sorry late reply. OM603 will move that 'Burb' I'm guessing but that is a heavy beast. Trans options - same as Jeep gearbox from early to mid 2000 (six speed manual) or 722/4xx or 722/6xx auto tipshifts with Ole controller

·
Registered
44 Posts
You can do an om648 but not sure what manual transmissions would be available. I will say that a 2006 sprinter with the 5 banger was a lovely truck to drive. Computer is the enemy with the modern engines.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts