Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2.2 liter Cat 3024 or Perkins 404c-22t with a 700r4 behind it in a 2000 S-10 2wd. 1275 hours on brand new engine since swap, 58,000 miles. Ran great, good mileage, very trouble free until. . . .

Cruising down the road at 55mph, came to a small hill and started loosing power, checked gauges, all normal. Pulled it out of overdrive and made it home. Lots of smoke out of the breather and rough idle. blue smoke from exhaust. All fluid levels ok, temps ok.

Figured Turbo seal and pulled the boot, sure enough coated with oil. Ordered a new center section and installed it yesterday. New air filter as well, old one had a black, oily film on the intake side that I figured was from sucking in breather discharge. Not low on oil but I only drove about 8 miles home after it started to lose power.

Fired right off this morning and sounded great. Backed out of the shop and let it idle while moving other vehicles around, maybe 15 minutes. Went back to it and noticed the breather smoking as bad as before. Parked it and let it cool down a couple hours, restarted, everything good until it reaches operating temp or close to it then it starts to smoke out the breather like mad.

I've always been a stickler about oil changes, run Rotella full synthetic 10-40. I drive it like I still owe money on it and don't off-road or pull anything more than a 14' aluminum fishing boat. It starts good and doesn't make any strange noises. I did the swap in 2010.

Any idea where to go from here?

b4

·
Registered
11,048 Posts
Yeah, if you're getting a ton of blow by it sounds like you may have a broken ring or blown head gasket. What kind of boost level are you running from the turbo?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, if you're getting a ton of blow by it sounds like you may have a broken ring or blown head gasket. What kind of boost level are you running from the turbo?
No boost gauge but it's the stock turbo with no mods and a not tampered with waste gate.

I guess I'm wondering why the oil in the turbo boot?

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
I guess I'm wondering why the oil in the turbo boot?
Too much blow-by pressure in the crankcase will also create abnormal back pressure in the turbo center section. This pressure will push oil past the turbo center's seal rings.
Been there, had it myself with broken piston rings on a high mileage diesel.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Too much blow-by pressure in the crankcase will also create abnormal back pressure in the turbo center section. This pressure will push oil past the turbo center's seal rings.
Been there, had it myself with broken piston rings on a high mileage diesel.
Thank, looks like a compression test is the next step.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts